You can save a bunch by buying keg o-rings in bulk. Here are some part numbers, background and tips on keg gaskets along with some part numbers and sources for additional keg repair parts.
Silicone vs Buna-N
Silicone is softer than Buna-N. Silicone also remains softer at cool temperatures. Because of this, silicone is supposed to provide a better seal.
I use use Buna-N on my liquid posts because they are cheaper and I figure a leak is going to be very evident – Beer is… visible. I use silicone on my gas posts because they seal better. You cannot see leaking CO2, so I want these to seal as well as possible. This also color codes posts for easy identification. Black o-rings are liquid and orange o-rings are gas.
A Note on Gas O-rings I am quick to replace gas o-rings. This leak is difficult to test for. I lost an entire CO2 tank because of a bad gas o-ring. In bulk, these are cheap, replace them liberally.
Dip Tube O-rings
Buna-N: 109 Buna-N O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Black, 5/16″ ID, 1/2″ OD, 3/32″ Width (Pack of 100)
Silicone: 111 Silicone O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Red, 7/16″ ID, 5/8″ OD, 3/32″ Width (Pack of 100) – use silicone for pin lock kegs
Internal Ball Lock Quick Disconnect O-Rings
Silicone: 013 Silicone O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Red, 7/16″ ID, 9/16″ OD, 1/16″ Width (Pack of 100)
Theses o-rings aren’t exactly the same as the standard square sided o-ring that comes in quick disconnects, but they do work well for me and this is certainly more economical than buying a whole new quick disconnect. Here is an exact replacement for CM Becker Ball Lock Quick Disconnects.
Pin and Ball Lock
I only use ball lock kegs, but it’s my understanding that pin locks and ball locks use the same o-rings. On the post o-rings, the silicone seems to be the best choice. The flexibility of silicone makes them work better than the Buna-N version on pin lock kegs.
Universal Poppet O-Rings
Size Dash 008 fit all styles of Universal Poppet that I have tested. Since universal poppets can vary slightly between manufacturers, I cannot guarantee they will work with your poppet.
A note about food safety Most of the o-ring part numbers that are linked to in this post are not specifically marketed for food use or as food safe. That’s true of many of the o-ring offerings I see across a range of sources. I have an offering pulled up as I write this that offers 5 o-rings (1 lid, 2 post and 2 dip tube) for ball lock kegs. They appear to be Buna-N but the description says nothing about what material they are made of or if they meet food safety certifications. You may feel better about purchasing a gasket from a homebrew shop and feel like it’s “food safe” because it’s being marketed as a for use in a keg, when, in fact, it may be identical to the parts listed here. Also, How much contact do these have with your beer? For lid o-ring – yes. I think that is exposed on the inside of the tank. So, if you splash beer up on that, there will be contact. The internal ball lock o-ring probably makes contact as well. As for me… I have every o-ring listed above and I use them on my kegs and ball lock QDs. All of this to say… if you’re concerned about using gaskets that are specifically marked as food safe you should keep looking.
Other Keg and Kegerator Rebuild & Replacement Parts
- Quad-Seal Gaskets: These are OEM-style dip tube O-rings that seal more easily than standard options – this offering from Brew Hardware gets you a complete set of pin or ball lock o-rings including quad seal dip tube
- Universal Poppets – I use universal poppets exclusively when rebuilding kegs. Tip: These fit the vast majority of kegs without issue. I have had a couple kegs that ended up being a bit too tight with these
- Keg Lid Feet – Bad or missing keg lid feet can cause keg lids to seal improperly
- Replacement Keg PRV Valves
- Replacement Keg Lid (includes PRV)
- Replacement Pin Lock Style Lid (no PRV)
- Pressure Relief Valve Ring
- Ball Lock QD Repair Kit
- Gas QD with Integrated Check Valve – Prevents Beer Back-Feeding – Ball Lock – Pin Lock
- Internal Ball Lock QD Gaskets (Non-OEM) – OEM for CM Becker
- Low Profile Pin Lock QDs (5/8″ Shorter) – Liquid – Gas – Combo
- Dip Tube Screen
- Gas Dip Tube
- Liquid Dip Tube – Straight – for Firestone and Cornelius
- Curved Liquid Dip Tube
- Variety of model specific replacement gas and liquid body connects and poppets
- Variety of model specific keg posts
- Pin Lock Keg Depressurizer Tool
- Variety of model specific keg replacement parts
- CMBecker Ball and Pin Lock Replacement Parts & Diagram
- Perlick 630SS Front Seat O-Ring Replacement
- Perlick 525 Rebuild Kit – Also: Individual 525SS Parts
- Parts List for Perlick 600 Series Faucets
- Perlick 630SS Forward Sealing Faucet
Stainless Steel Ball Lock Quick Disconnects
- Torpedo SS Ball Lock QDS at MoreBeer
- Adventures in Homebrewing offers a number of SS QD models – Keg Disconnects at AIH
Keg Quick Disconnects on Amazon
- Pin Lock MFL – Gas | Liquid | Set
- Pin Lock Barb – Gas | Liquid | Set
- Pin Lock Low Profile – Gas | Liquid | Set
- Ball Lock MFL – Gas | Liquid | Set
- Ball Lock Barb – Gas | Liquid
McMaster Carr is also a good source for bulk o-rings. McMaster does charge an additional shipping fee. Their website does not show that. It’s added on after you place your order. To get exact shipping charges you need to call or email McMaster for a quote.McMaster Carr Part Numbers
Recent Great Deals [more]:
- Nesco Vacuum Sealer [Hops and More] – $43.18
- 20 lb CO2 Tank – $132.99 + Free Shipping, Faucet Sale & Tank Tip
- 10% off AIH Customer Favorite Kits – Extract & All Grain – Stac…
- 8 Gallon, Ported Stainless Kettle – $49.99 + Free Shipping
- Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Growler – now available in Matte Black