I’m a big fan of the Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer. I use mine for lots of things including… kegs, carboys, Speidel Fermenters, buckets, tubing, draft lines [See: Mark II Keg & Carboy Cleaner… As a Recirculating Draft Line Cleaning Pump] and more. See: Hands on Review: Mark’s Keg and Carboy Washer for a comprehensive look at this great homebrewing tool.
A while back I became aware of this Stainless CIP Spray Ball (1/2″ size) via a reader tip. Thanks to HBF Reader Sam for the original heads up on these and HBF Reader Chris for the idea to use in conjunction with the Mark II Keg and Carboy Cleaner! [8 Ways to Connect with HBF].
CIP (Clean in Place) Spray Balls are generally used for vessels that are too large to move. Since they’re too large to move you… clean them in place. If you have a larger setup, you could incorporate these into your system or routine to help clean your vessels more easily.
I gave this a try on my Keg and Carboy Washer and I was really pleased with the results.
This is a heavy well made CIP spray ball assemblyA look at the lower portion It reads 1/2″ and SS304A look at the openings on the spray head. Note that the top portion rotates using liquid pressure.This threads nicely onto the top of the PVC tube on the Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer. Replacing the end cap that contains one spray hole. In the background, My ITC-308 Temp Controller.This fitting makes the total height a little higher compared to the standard tip. Note that, depending on the size opening of your carboy, this may not fit. Look back for an update to this post that has more dimension information so you can determine if this will work with vessel’s with smaller openings. Here’s MoreBeer’s 6 gallon PET Carboy on the cleaner. You can see there’s still plenty of clearance.A picture of the spray ball in action
A video of the spray action
Mark’s Keg & Carboy Washer can be found at:
- MoreBeer – typically $99.99 + Free Shipping to most US addresses
- Adventures in Homebrewing
- Brewer Dude
- Great Fermentations + Flat Rate Shipping
- Keg Connection + Flat Rate Shipping
- Home Brew Supply + Flat Rate Shipping
- William’s Brewing + Flat Rate Shipping
CIP Spray Ball Sources:
- Hands on Review: Mark’s Keg and Carboy Washer
- Mark II Keg & Carboy Cleaner… As a Recirculating Draft Line Cleaning Pump!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.
Recent Great Deals [view more]:
- Ball Lock Keg QD Jumper Post [Clean Draft Lines + Draft Line Cleaning Pump Build…
- Pellet Hops Blowout – $10/lb!
- Digital Total Dissolved Solids [TDS] Meter – check brewing water and filte…
- SKYROKU Digital Scale, 100 Gram Capacity x .01 Gram Resolution AND Calibration W…
- Kedsum 550 GPH Submersible Pump + Recirculating Draft Line Cleaning Build –…
- Keg Parts on Sale at Bell’s Brewery General Store
- Bavarian Helles: History, Brewing Techniques, Recipes (Classic Beer Style Series…
This is a Top Post! See: All Top Posts