The primary idea with a chest freezer is to… freeze food. Also referred to as Deep Freezes, most models do not go through a defrost cycle. That’s a bummer come manual defrost time but outstanding for energy savings and food preservation.
Side note… Because of the lack of a defrost cycle, chest freezers are great for storing hops – our hop deals roundup
Many people including myself have repurposed chest freezers as kegerators or “keezers”.
What does Keezer mean? Keezer = kegerator + freezer.
To do the conversion you basically add a compatible temp controller – Inkbird deals and reviews – that will allow you to operate a chest freezer at fridge temps. After that add some taps, maybe a collar, some kegs and a CO2 tank and you’re off and going!
The problem: Chest freezers are generally meant to operate at freezing temperatures, not beer serving temps. This causes issues with condensation and airflow. Left unhandled these issues can cause other problems, like sanitation issues.
Through several iterations of my own keezer, I’ve experienced all of these problems. I have a library of tips and resources that specifically apply to serving draft beer, but these are the top three when it comes to keezer conversions.
#1 Handle Condensation
Chest freezers aren’t designed to be operated at refrigerator temps. Depending on your climate this may result to excessive condensation. I had pooling water in my own keezer until I took action.
#2 Improve Airflow
Kegs and tanks sitting flush on the bottom of your keezer provide a place for condensation to (and other things) to live. Adding mats to the bottom of your kegerator improves airflow and helps to keep things dry.
# 3 Stabilize Temps & Reduce Foam
Using a cheap recirculating fans keeps things moving, evens out temperatures and helps to reduce foaming.
Related: Take it Up a Notch! Upgrade Your Kegerator – 6 Improvements!
Chest freezers can be easily converted to kegerators. They’re generally inexpensive, reliable and energy efficient. My top three tips will help your keezer run even better.
Bonus Tip: When to NOT use a chest freezer for your kegerator conversion
If you have back troubles or trouble lifting 50+ lbs, consider a refrigerator instead of a freezer for your kegerator conversion project. Lifting full kegs of beer over a 4 foot wall, can be tough. Fridges or an upright freezer are usually just a few inches off the floor.
Rebuild Your Kegs
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
10 Most Recent Homebrew Resource Posts & How-To’s!
We are Homebrew Review HQ! Our 10 Most Recent Reviews
Our Top Draft Resources!
- Rebuilding & Reconditioning Homebrew Kegs!
- Five Benefits of Using Corny Kegs As Fermenters
- Food Safe Replacement Keg O-Rings in Bulk
- Hands on Review: Kegland DuoTight Fittings & EVABarrier Tubing!
- Why Won’t My Homebrew Carbonate? Fixing Beer Carbonation Problems
- Kegerator Foam Problems? – Fight the First Foamy Pint!
- Upgrade Your Kegerator – 6 Improvements!
- Serve Homebrew on Any Kegerator & Convert Commercial Kegerator to Homebrew
- Tips and Gear for Growler Filling
- What’s the Difference Between Ball Lock Kegs and Pin Lock Kegs?
- Checking for Draft System CO2 Leaks – Using The Pressure Gauge Method
- Tip: Consider Oetiker Stepless Clamps for Kegerator Gas and Beer Lines
- Hands On Review: Inkbird ITC-308 Dual Stage Temperature Controller +WiFi Version
- Universal Poppets Tips and Tricks!
- Convert Your Mark II Keg & Carboy Washer to a Recirculating Draft Line Clea…
- Step by Step: Finding and Fixing Keg CO2 Leaks
- Kegerator Beer Line Temperatures & Reducing Foam with a Recirculating Fan
- Kegging CO2 Use Estimations and Calculations
- Step by Step: Balancing Your Kegerator Draft System
- Building a Simple Ball Lock Draft Line Flushing Setup
- Build a Recirculating Draft Line Cleaning Pump
- Home Brew Keg Roundup – New & Used, 5 and 2.5 Gallon & More!
- Damp Kegerator? Fix Kegerator Condensation
- Portable Draft Beer Serving Options!
- Homebrew Temp Controller Roundup! – Kegerator and Fermentation – con…
- Bulk Keg Orings and Keg Repair Part Numbers
Price, promotions and availability can change quickly. Check the product page for current price, description and availability.
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions. top:3keezer tag:tpr