Vacuum sealer bags are great at sealing out oxygen, preventing freezer burn, etc. FoodSaver bags, vacuum sealers and the like are a great way to store hops, grains, spices and more!
But.. Mylar bags are more resistant to oxygen. It’s my understanding that Mylar has no oxygen permeability.
Mylar bags are not expensive, so that’s great! The problem is vacuum sealers that can seal Mylar bags ARE expensive. Well over a thousand dollars. That’s not great!
There are some techniques out there that allow you to seal Mylar bags using a standard FoodSaver type sealer. All these techniques make some use of channelled vacuum bags.
I have found the existing techniques, that I’ve run across, to be cumbersome.
I’ve developed two possible solutions.
Technique 1 Just seal a Mylar bag inside of a FoodSaver bag. The Mylar bag will be completely reusable, the FoodSaver bag will be almost completely reusable. You’ll just lose an inch or two each time you cut the seal off. This technique evacuates the air from the Mylar bag and all but makes it oxygen impermeable. The top of the bag is the only entry point for oxygen. This is now a very, very small opening that’s protected by the outer bag. That’s good enough for me.
Technique 2 Cut a strip of vacuum bag about 1 inch wide from the top off a vacuum bag. Insert the strip into filled Mylar bag and trim the strip off so only 1/2″ or so is sticking out of the bag. Now insert that whole mess into the FoodSaver. Vacuum, Seal and trim off the excess vacuum bag.
There is a trick here. Notice I didn’t say FoodSaver bag. I, initially, tried this with a FoodSaver bag and it wouldn’t seal correctly. FoodSaver bags are a bit thicker than most others that are on the market. If you use a slightly thinner bag, like the VacMaster bags recently featured on Homebrew Finds, The FoodSaver can seal the whole mess.
This is a Top Post! See: All Top Posts
Recent Great Deals [view more]:
- MoreBeer Father’s Day Special – 20% Off All Starter Kits! + American…
- 9 Gallon Utility Tubs [Brew Day & Beyond] – $5.75 + free prime ship
- THREE Keg Deals at Adventures in Homebrewing – kegs from $30.45 w/stackin…
- Taprite T-742 Double Gauge Co2 Kegerator Regulator – Made in the US……
- Great Selection of Keg Parts & Kegerator Components at Keg Connection + Sit…
- Digital Pressure Gauge – $15.89 + free prime ship & Spunding Valve Bu…
- 220,000 BTU Propane Homebrew Burner and Brew Stand – $104.39