White Labs and Wyeast are pretty well ubiquitous. Most shops carry both or at least one of these great lineups. In addition to their many regular options, both companies periodically have special seasonal releases. They produce outstanding yeast, bacterias and blends.
If you’re looking to try something new… This post aims to help you find some of the smaller yeast houses
- Bootleg Biology! – “Bootleg Biology is an open source yeast (and wild bugs) project whose goal is to create the world’s most diverse library of microbes for the creation of fermented foods and beverages. All microbes are sourced and isolated from “bootleg” sources such as: backyards, orchards, kombucha, yogurt, honey, fruit, bottle dregs, and whatever else we can get our hands on.” – High Gravity Homebrew Supply carries Bootleg Biology
- The Yeast Bay – The Yeast Bay’s Missions – “Provide commercially unavailable and rare strains of yeast and bacteria to the homebrewing and craft brewing communities in high quality liquid culture.” – love2brew carries The Yeast Bay strains
- GigaYeast – produces pitches with 200 billion yeast cells. Nearly double the cell count of most homebrew yeast producers. The lineup include GY054 “Vermont IPA” which is the Conan strain of yeast used by Alchemist Brewing to make Heady Topper. – MoreBeer carries GigaYeast
- East Coast Yeast – ECY’s mission is: “To provide new, fresh, liquid cultures for your special brewing projects. Specializing in artisanal yeast blends and pure yeast strains long forgotten.” – love2brew carries East Coast Yeast
- Omega Labs Yeast – Omega Labs includes 150 billion cells (50% more yeast vs a more typical 100 billion cell homebrew pitch). They also have some interesting strains including an “Ale strain isolated from a famous double IPA brewed in Vermont”. We’re probably talking about the “Conan” strain used in the Alchemists’s nearly impossible to find Heady Topper. – Brew Hardware carries Omega Labs Yeast
More Fermentation Related!
- Our Fermentation Related Reviews – Fermenters and More
- Yeast Starters and Fermentation Resource Page
- Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
- Compare Prices: StirStarter Stir Plate
More: Our Last Fifty Finds!