When it comes to storing grain and DME, we’re concerned about keeping ingredients fresh minimizing oxygen and moisture exposure. We’re also interest in keeping Grain and DME away from possible pests. Beyond that convenient access and efficient use of space are issues to consider. This post also includes some tips and general sizing guidelines.
Limited Time Deal, Resource Continues Below:
Large Mylar BagsMore Info
- 10.5 MIL EXTRA THICK MYLAR BAGS : SENDGREEN mylar bags for food storage are made of food-grade materials that are safe and eco-friendly, Durable, and Tasteless. Made with premium quality aluminum foil in a silver color with a thickness of 10.5 mil. Mylar Bags are 5 GALLON in volume (17.5" x 27.2")
- LONG TERM & DURABLE : These Mylar Bags boths sides are designed with aluminum foil thickened reinforcement, Heat sealing preserves mylar vacuum seal bags for longer time. Top quality smell proof bags,And mylar storage bags edge are designed of arc and don't easy to hurt your hands
- LIGHT PROOF, RESEALABLE & STRONG ZIPPER : Protect goods from light exposure, moisture and degradation.With ultra thick 10.5 mil mylar bags provides durability and puncture resistance, the zip lock design can be used repeatedly, which is convenient for foods that are often eaten.These Mylar Bags for Long Term Food Storage as dehydrated food, freeze dried products, rice, beans, nuts, candies, spice, cookies, small items, pet food & etc.
- LONG TERM STORAGE BAGS – With the thickness of 10.5 mil and dual seal feature you can trust these Mylar bags for your long term storage solution to optimize your space, without any fear of quality degradation of your supplies or these bags, as they have a promising shelf life of 25 years.
- QUALITY ASSURANCE - We take pride in the superior quality and unmatched resilience of our mylar bags. If you are not satisfied with anything,please contact us and we will correct it and do better
From HBF: Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.
Mylar bags generally have low oxygen permeability and block light. You can store hops, other brewing ingredients and more in Mylar bags. Check out my techniques for sealing (smaller) Mylar bags using traditional vacuum sealers.
Steve’s picture above shows about 25 lbs of malt in these 5 gallon bags.
As of this update these have dropped to $15.99 at Amazon. Shipping is also free to many US addresses with Prime Membership [Try Prime for Free] or a qualifying order. Prices and availability can change quickly. Check product page for current info – More About Prices
10Pack 5 Gallon Mylar Bags for Food Storage and Labels (16 PCS) Total 10.5 Mil 17.5×27.2″ Thick Food Grade Zipper Resealable Large Mylar bags and Heat Sealable for Long Term Food Storage SENDGREEN – note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear at this link
Buckets for Grain Storage – Pros and Cons
Pictured: Food Grade Buckets via Amazon
Buckets are one of the most basic and popular options out there and for good reason. They are generally easy to source, well made and cheap. Food safe options are also easy to find.
Search Food Grade Bucket on Amazon
Grain Storage Capacity Estimations
My rule of thumb for grain storage capacity is about 5 lbs per gallon for unmilled malt storage. That’s a rough estimate, actual storage capacity will vary. A 5 gallon bucket holds about 25 lbs Two buckets = a 50 lb bag. Two 6 gallon buckets would comfortably hold a 55 lb bag.
Note that some lids are not airtight. The airtight or nearly airtight lids can be difficult to put on and pry off. Also, you will be carrying these. Some of the other options have wheels for convenience. Buckets are definitely a solid option for the price. One of the bigger downsides of buckets – the lids (leaky or hard to put on and take off) – can be addressed by upgrading to Gamma Seal Lids. See below for more info on that.
Buckets + Gamma Lids
The next step up, in my opinion, is adding Gamma Seal Lids to your buckets.
These fit on standard 3.5 to 7 gallon buckets. You attach the base of the unit to the bucket and leave that intact. The lid screws on and off. That fixes a couple of issues that buckets may have when used in conjunction with standard lids. First, Gamma Lids are airtight. Second, the lids screw on and off easily. No more prying lids.
Pictured: Gamma Seal Lid Variety Pack – via Amazon
- Hands On Review: Gamma Seal Lids for Homebrew Grain Storage
- Multiple options are available in different colors and count options – Search Gamma Seal Lid on Amazon
Mylar Bags for Homebrew Grain Storage
Large, Food Grade Mylar bags are newer to the scene for grain storage. These can be had for a very reasonable price. Capacity probably does not equal bucket and pet food storage container capacity on a gallon for gallon basis, but you should be able to store quite a bit of grain in a 5 gallon bag. 1 to 3 gallon bags could be used for smaller amount of grain.
- Pictured: 10Pack 5 Gallon Mylar Bags for Food Storage and Labels (16 PCS) Total 10.5 Mil 17.5×27.2″ Thick Food Grade Zipper Resealable Large Mylar bags
- Search Amazon for 5 gallon food grade resealable Mylar Bags – to shop around
Look for something that’s made for food use and something that has a resealable top.
Pet Food Style Containers for Grain Storage
Now we transition into pet food-type containers. These can work great because they are generally… food safe or made from FDA compliant food safe materials, designed to be airtight and can have large capacities. Some also have convenient features like easy access lids, see through sides and wheels.
- Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container [pictured]- available in 40 and 60 lb sizes. Stackable for efficient space use. Large opening, Airtight lid. The 40 lb container can generally hold a 50 lb sack of grain although you have to orient it so the back is facing down. Hands on Review
- Vittles Vault 50-Pound Stackable – Thanks to Twitter Follower @chillindamos for this photo! – This is the 50 lb stackable size with a full 25 kg bag of grain in it. That’s about 55 lbs and there’s still some room.
- Shop Around! Search Amazon for Vittles Vault
- IRIS Airtight Pet Food Container – available in multiple sizes
- IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container – available in multiple sizes. Translucent sides so you can see contents. Some sizes have wheels for easily moving around.
- Shop Around! Search Amazon for IRIS Airtight Container
- Buddeez 12-1/2-Gallon Roll-Away Pet Food Dispenser with Scoop – 12.5 gallon capacity. At 5 lbs/gallon I estimate a capacity of around 62.5 lbs of grain. That’s a full 50-55 lb sack of grain plus.
- Lots more options are available – Search “FDA approved airtight food container” in Amazon’s Pet Supplies category for some ideas.
Other Options for Bulk Homebrew Grain Storage
Some have mentioned using trash cans, totes and other similar types of containers. Those may work for you, depending on your situation and the environment you’re in. Non-airtight options may cause problems related to pests, moisture and humidity. Also, non-food grade plastics may be a health and safety issue. I recommend that you use airtight and food safe containers for grain and ingredient storage.
DME and Specialty Grain Storage Options + Grain and DME Capacity Estimates
We’re looking for the same sorts of things for specialty grain storage and dry malt extract storage, but generally smaller containers. If you’re a big batch brewer and buy specialty grains in bulk to save some money, some of the larger options might be best for you.
Grain and DME Storage Rules of Thumb:
- Grain weighs approximately 5 lbs per Gallon or 1.25 lbs per Liter for umilled malt – Justification
- I estimate that DME weighs about 1.125 lbs per Liter
- Airtight Medium Rectangle 23 Cup 8X6X9 – [pictured]
- Snapware MODS Medium Rectangle Storage Container 17 Cups – 4 liter/17 cup capacity airtight, BPA free container from Snapware. Capacity estimates – holds about 5 lbs of grain or 4.57 lbs of DME. Check out my hands on review
- Buddeez 8-Quart Dispenser for Pet Food and Bird Seed
- Cereal containers and canisters generally make good storage containers for smaller amounts of grain and DME. Look for food safe materials and airtight closures – Search: airtight cereal container and airtight canister set on Amazon
- Square Storage Jars can make great ingredient storage. Search Amazon for Square Storage Jars
- Pictured; Snyder’s of Hanover Pretzel Snaps, 46 Oz Canister
- Search Amazon for pretzel canister to shop around
Vacuum Sealing for hops, grain and other ingredients
I use a vacuum sealer for hop storage. I also use it to store and preserve small amounts (1 to 2 lbs) of specialty grains. I’ve even stored entire bags of grain in FoodSaver bags. I don’t recommend that… but I’ve done it.
Vacuum sealing hops allows you to get in on larger hops buys and store your hops well to maintain freshness. Save money and still use fresh tasting and smelling hops.
For smaller amounts of specialty grains I usually just put the whole bag of grains inside a FoodSaver bag and vacuum seal it.
You can also use Mason jars along with your vacuum sealer’s accessory port with a compatible jar sealer to store grain. Using my rule of thumb 1.25 lbs per liter, the half gallon size jars should hold around 2.36 lbs of grain and the quart jars should hold around 1.17 lbs of grain. Mason jars are reusable, oxygen impermeable and you can easily see the contents.
- Search Mason Jars on Amazon
- See: Mason Jars For Homebrew Ingredient Storage, Yeast Starters and More
FoodSaver Mason Jar Sealer. Jar sealers and caps come in two sizes to fit both wide mouth and regular mouth jars. Note that you need the correct size jar sealer to match your jars.
Storage Caps. If you want or need to skip the FoodSaver part, Ball makes a storage cap. That also comes in two sizes depending on jar size.
Pictured: WIDE Mouth Mason Jar Lids [8 Pack] for Ball, Kerr and More – Food Grade Colored Plastic Storage Caps for Mason/Canning Jars – Leak-Proof & Anti-Scratch Resistant Surface – note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear at this link
Lots more options are available. Search Amazon for “Mason Jar Storage Lids” on Amazon
Vacuum Sealers are especially useful for hops and other smaller amounts of ingredients. Search Amazon for “Vacuum Sealer Bags” to look for options that are compatible with your machine.
Related: Inkbird Vacuum Sealer Review!
Get a Deal on Bulk Grain
A Deal on All Grain Kits
Adventures in Homebrewing discounts seasonal homebrew beer recipe kits by 20%. Selections include both all grain and extract options.
Milling Your Own Grain
For all grain brewers, bulk grain storage goes hand in hand with milling your own grain. If we’re storing bulk quantities of grain to save time and money, we’re probably going to need to mill that grain.
Milling your own grain offers these advantages…
- Gives you control over the crush of your grain. That’s a big factor in efficiency. A mill allows you to fine tune for your equipment and process.
- A mill allows you to save money by buying whole bags of grain.
- Freshly milled grain = better tasting beer.
Grain Mill Reviews
Everything All Grain!
Our resource post on all grain is the source for everything all grain!
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
10 Most Recent Homebrew Resource Posts & How-To’s!
We are Homebrew Review HQ! Our 10 Most Recent Reviews
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions. toppost:storageoptions tag:tpr rs:6