You can use Mason jars to store hops, grain, yeast slurry and more. Fermentation lids are also available to convert these to be easily used for yeast starters. And, of course, you can serve your beer and other drinks in a one of these. Mason jars generally economical, reusable, oxygen impermeable and you can easily see the contents.
A variety of manufacturers make Mason Jars. Ball, Knorr and more. There are two standard sizes regular and wide mouth. This is important when it comes to attachments and lids as these must be size compatible.
Sealing Hops in Mason Jars
FoodSaver makes a jar sealing attachment that connects to compatible vacuum sealers to allow you to vacuum seal Mason Jars. This means $0 in vacuum bag costs and the jars are resealable with no vacuum bag waste.
Sealing a wide mouth 64 ounce Ball Jar full of hops.
Our Inkbird Vacuum Sealer Deal Page
Sealed jar… $0 in vacuum bag cost and resealable.A quart jar holds around 14 ounces of hops
Note that a compatible vacuum sealer and jar sealing attachment are requirements. Many FoodSaver brand vacuum sealers have accessory ports. The Inkbird VS-01 pictured here also has an accessory port.
- Hands on Review: Inkbird Vacuum Sealer!
- Inkbird Vacuum Sealer Machine with Starter Kit – affiliate link, note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear at this link
- Vacuum Sealer Machine for Food Preservation, Inkbird Vac Sealer with Full Starter Kit – affiliate link, note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear at this link
- This machine could potentially be listed as part of a combo – Search Amazon for “Inkbird VS-01 Vacuum Sealer” – to look for other listings or combos
Also: Search Amazon for “FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer Machine”
Mason Jar Specific Vacuum Sealers
Mason jar specific vacuum sealers are available now. These work solely with mason jar type jars and will not seal regular bags and rolls.
- LOVE MOMENT Electric Mason Jar Vacuum Sealer Kit for Wide Mouth and Regular Mouth Mason Jars – affiliate link, note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear at this link
- Search Amazon for “mason jar vacuum sealer” to shop around
Pictured: WIDE Mouth Mason Jar Lids [8 Pack] for Ball, Kerr and More – Food Grade Colored Plastic Storage Caps for Mason/Canning Jars – Leak-Proof & Anti-Scratch Resistant Surface – affiliate link, note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear at this link
If you want or need to skip the FoodSaver part, Storage caps are available. These also come in two sizes depending on jar size.
Lots more options are available. Search Amazon for “Mason Jar Storage Lids” on Amazon
Grain Storage Capacity for Larger Mason Jars
Using my rule of thumb 1.25 lbs per liter, the half gallon size jars should hold around 2.36 lbs of grain and the quart jars should hold around 1.17 lbs of grain. These are rough estimates.
Using Mason Jars for Yeast Starters
Lids are available to easily convert these jars to use for yeast starters. As will all other options you need the right size lid (either regular or wide mouth).
A tip… fermentation weights are also available, those are generally intended for fermenting food. The sit on top of the food and are not airtight. Along those lines they should be avoided if you’re wanting to do yeast starters.
- Pictured: Jillmo Fermentation Kit, Stainless Steel Fermenting Kit for Wide Mouth Mason Jars (Jars Not Included) – affiliate link, note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear at this link
- Search Amazon for “Mason Jar Fermentation Lids” on Amazon
- Search Amazon for “Mason Jars”
This article contains affiliate links. We may make a small percentage if you use our links to make a purchase. You won’t pay more and you’ll be supporting Homebrew Finds and more content like this. Thank you for your support!
Recent Hop Finds
Related: Inkbird VS-01 Hands on Review
See,,,My Hands on Review
Our Storage Options Roundup!
Vittles Vault Review – For Bulk Grain Storage
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a commission when you use our links. This will never cost you extra. Thank you for supporting Homebrew Finds!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.
Price, promotions and availability can change quickly. Check the product page for current price, description and availability. tag:lnksfxd top:masonjars tag:tpr