Most regulators that homebrewers use for oxygenating wort are simple setups – Example. They attach to disposable oxygen tanks (typically sourced from a local hardware store) and are little more than on and off valves. No gauges, no pressure control (other than the degree to which you open and close the valve) and no flow control.
Time and rate give you an idea of how much oxygen you’re really adding to your wort. Time is easy to track. Rate, not so much, at least with typical homebrew O2 regulators. If you want more or less oxygen for your next batch, it’s mostly a guessing game.
The Oxyview Flow Meter is a pneumatic (no electricity required) real-time oxygen flow meter that works in any position. Flow rate is displayed in liters per minute. This particular model has a range of 0 to 3 LPM. This allows you to know what rate of oxygen is going into your wort.
I’ve used one of these for years and it has worked great for me.
Note that these are typically used for medical applications. You will need to figure out tubing and connections to your existing regulator and aeration/oxygenation stone. I found some tubing that fits mine and use luer locks to connect it to other components.
10/13/17 10:30 AM Central: This has dropped from $22.47 to $14.99. That’s the lowest historical third party Amazon price I found. Shipping is $5, but, at least as of this posting, it’s $5 flat rate no matter how many you order. Price, shipping and availability can change quickly. Check the product page for up to the minute price and availability.
- Oxygen Regulator – For Disposable Tanks w/Barb – MoreBeer
- Oxygen Regulator – William’s Brewing
- 0.5 Micron Diffusion Stone
- Yeast Starters & Fermentation | StirStarter Stir Plate | Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
Recent Amazon Finds [view more]:
- Chalkboard Tap Handles – multiple colors and styles – up to 12% off
- Beer Lover’s Southern California [Paperback] – $13.37
- 1 lb Yeast Nutrient – $6.85 + Free Add On Shipping + Price Comparison
- Triple Tap Stainless Steel Draft Kegerator Tower + 3 Faucets + More – $109…
Oxygenation and Aeration Supplies at William’s Brewing