Is Buying a Grain Mill Worth It?
If you’re an all grain homebrewer, should you buy a mill?….
Benefits of Milling Your Own Grain
- Control Crush: Milling your own grain gives you control over the crush of your grain. That’s a big factor in efficiency. Many homebrew shops tend to under-mill grain to protect against stuck mashes. I’ve seen pre-milled grain wildly-undermilled. See this review for a side by side example.
- Fine Tune Your Process, Improve Repeatability: A mill allows you to fine tune for your equipment and process. You know what the crush is going to be since you set it.
- Save Money: A mill allows you to save money by buying whole bags of grain at a discount.
- Fresher, Better Tasting Beer: The shelf life of unmilled grain is longer than pre-milled grain. Freshly milled grain = better tasting beer.
Store Milled Grain (left) vs crushing my own grain using optimal using “optimal” setting (right) on a certain mill. See: Hands On Review: Captain Crush, Adjustable Three Roller Grain Mill for more details
Should You Mill Your Own Grain?
If you’re an all grain brewer, I would encourage you to strongly consider getting a mill and taking control of crush in your brewing process.
- Some Mills to Consider
- Cereal Killer Grain Mill – Hands On Review
- Monster Mills – Hands on Review
- Monster Mill – Mills and Accessories via MoreBeer – Hands on Review
- MaltMuncher Mills and Motors from William’s Brewing
- MaltMuncher Mills and Motors from MoreBeer
- The Barley Crusher MaltMill – via Valuebrew – Hands on Review
- The Barley Crusher Grain and Malt Mill – via MoreBeer – Hands on Review
- The Evill Twin Grain and Malt Mill
- Ss Brewtech Grain Mill
- Crop Duster Grain Mill
- There are new offerings all the time – search Amazon for “homebrew grain mill” to shop around and see what may be available
Motorizing Your Mill!
- Motor Kit Barley Crusher – works with both Barley Crusher and Cereal Killer Mills
- MaltMuncher Mills and Motors at William’s Brewing – MaltMuncher Motorization kits work with lots of drill makes and models
- Malt Muncher Grain Mill – High Torque Motor MILL702 via MoreBeer
- Monster Brewing Hardware – Grain Mill Gear Motor
What’s YOUR Favorite Homebrew Mill?
Leave a comment below and let us know!
Grain Mill Reviews!
- What Drill Should I Use with My Homebrew Grain Mill?
- Homebrew Grain Mill Reviews
- Our All Grain Related Reviews
- Step by Step Motorizing a Grain Mill
More All Grain!
- All Grain Tips & Gear
- 10 Gallon Mash Tun Conversion Kit – Review
- Grain Mill Reviews
- All Grain Related Reviews
- Batch Sparge Spreadsheet | BIAB Brew Day Spreadsheet
- The Brew Bag – Purpose Made BIAB
- Get a Deal on Bulk Malt via MoreBeer: Viking 2-Row Pale Malt, Viking Xtra Pale Malt, Viking Wheat Malt – and Viking Pilsner Malt – all sell for $10.99/10 lbs, unmilled. 5 x $10.99 = $54.95 for 50 lbs of grain. To sweeten the deal shipping is free with a qualifying $59 order. Check product links for current price & availability.
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions. toppost:grainmill tag:tpr rs:1