I think 3D Printing has a bunch of possible applications for homebrewing. From tap handles to stir plates to… custom sized measuring cups and on and on.
I stumbled across these customizable measuring cups by wstein on thingiverse. The author provides files for several sizes of cups and also includes the ability to customize these to the specific size you’re looking for. See below for links to both the original STL files and a customized 6 ml version. I thought this would be handy to create a purpose sized measuring cup for Star San.
First, some background… I use the Spray Bottle Method for sanitizing. With that technique you measure out 6 mls of Star San and combine with 1 Gallon of water. Then you use a Spray Bottle to soak and sanitize surfaces. Check out of full description of the method including math for the 6 mls.
On to the measuring cup…
Printing on my XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 3D Printer
Here’s the measuring cup next to a 12 cc Syringe
- XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 3D Printer – this is the printer I use, however, I believe it’s been replaced by a newer model – Check out Amazon’s Best Sellers in 3D Printers
- Star San Tips, Tricks and Guidelines – Using Star San In a Spray Bottle
- Customizable Measuring Cup/Scoop by wstein
- 6 ml version created using Customizer also attributed to wstein
- Rubbermaid 32oz Heavy-Duty Spray Bottle – via Amazon
- Star San- 32 oz – via Amazon
I’d like to come up with a two ended measuring spoon. One side would be 6 ml for Star San and the other side one ounce for both Star San and PBW. The 6 ml side would just be for Star San where the one could be used for either Star San or PBW. Dosing for Star San = 1 ounce per 5 gallons and dosing for PBW = 1 to 3 ounces per gallon. If you are a design whiz and come up with such a thing, Email Us, and I’ll share your file. Otherwise, this will have to wait for me to learn Solidworks.
This is a Top Post! See: All Top Posts
More: Recent Great Deals