A Spunding Valve allows you to maintain a set pressure. If pressure in the vessel exceeds the set point, it is expelled. It generally consists of an adjustable PRV valve, a tee, a gauge and a way to connect to your keg. Read lots and lots more about Spunding Valves, ways to use them and different build options on our Spunding Valve Resource Post
Building a digital Spunding Valve is as simple as using a digital gauge in your Spunding Valve Build.
I tried a couple different digital gauges and settled on this one – pictured in the assembly above. The other gauge I tried was much more expensive and didn’t really work well. It drifted wildly. This was a reasonable price and has given me accurate and consistent readings. This photo shows two gauges hooked up to the same keg – agreeing on PSI.
The really nice thing about this digital gauge is the .1 PSI resolution. That’s really handy if you’re using the gauge to try and find leaks. It allows you to see pressure changes more quickly.
My gauge came with this user manual/specifications sheet – front | back. One quick tip… the threads aren’t super long. The first time I put this digital Spunding Valve together, I noticed the pressure dropping, again… the .1 PSI resolution is handy for spotting just this issue! Anyway, I didn’t have the gauge quite tight enough and it was showing a slow leak. Easy fix, I took the gauge off, put a couple extra wraps of teflon tape around it and tightened it a little more. Whammo!
Shop Around: Search Amazon for “digital gauge 1/4″ npt” and look for a unit that’s appropriate spec’d for your application
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
Let’s Be Friends!
- Our Last Fifty Finds
- Curated List of Keg Deals
- Curated List of Hop Deals
- Our 10 Most Recent Homebrew Resource Posts
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best of the best
- Our 10 Most Recent Reviews
- Our Top Draft and Kegerator Resource Pages
- Our Top Posts – a huge library of how-tos, resources posts & more
- Our Massive Library of Reviews – view the entire list of use our Review by Categories to find just what you’re looking for
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions. top:spundingvalvelnksto lnksto:spundingvalve rp:lnkstodigspunding