AVANTEK Infrared Thermometer. Temperature Range from -58°F to 1562°F. Non-contact Dual Laser Digital Thermometer. Displays in deg C or deg F. Easy to read, backlit LCD display.
Since this is no touch, you can check the temp of yeast washing and yeast rehydration water and your starter wort without the risk of infection. I find mine particularly useful for rehydrating yeast.
Infrared thermometers should not be considered a direct replacement for your standard thermometer. A quality IR thermometer will give you a close approximation of surface temperatures. Note that steam seems to throw off readings. Uses include: Contained yeast rehydration water, chilled wort or starter temperature, kegerator, fermenter or fermenation area and beer tasting samples. If you’re looking for a standard thermometer, consider these two Top Finds: CDN DTQ450X – ThermoWorks Thermapen
Update: Since this post was published the price, availability or promotion has changed. Check the product page for up to the minute description, price and availability. Also: Today’s Deals on Amazon
Recent Amazon Finds [view more]:
- Picobrew Zymatic Automated Electric Brew House – $1,599, Save $400 + FREE …
- Dual Scale Refractometer with Aluminum Body – coming up on Black Friday De…
- 64 oz Stainless Steel, Vacuum Insulated Growler – coming up on Black Frida…
- 15% Off Cool Brewing for Black Friday
- Tasting Beer, 2nd Edition! by Randy Mosher – $12.20