Star San Tips, Tricks and Guidelines – Using Star San In a Spray Bottle

Star SanPictured: 32 Oz Star San – via Amazon

Star San is my sanitizer of choice.  When mixed properly, it’s food safe and no rinse.  Required contact time is one minute.  It has worked very well for me for quite some time and I’m convinced that it’s one of the most economical solutions available if you use the spray bottle method outlined here.  I’ve used a single 32 oz bottle for years.  Like 5+ years.

Cleaning, Sanitizing and… Sterilizing

The first step in sanitizing is cleaning.  Cleaning and sanitizing are two separate steps.  Cleaning physically removes dirt and large contaminants.  After your item is physically clean it can be microscopically sanitized.  Sanitization kills many (but not all) germs, bacteria and microorganisms on an already clean surface.  I typically use a mixture of PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) for cleaning.  Sanitizing and Sterilizing are different.  Sterilizing is killing every living thing.  In home brewing typically, we’re not interested in sterilizing, we’re only interested in sanitizing.

The Spray Bottle Method

The key benefit of this method is using what you need.  That fact of the matter is… there’s no need to submerge your equipment in gallons and gallons of this stuff.  The open space in the middle of your carboy does not need to be sanitized.  Just the surfaces do.

Fill up a spray bottle with properly diluted Star San solution and you’re good to go.  Liberally coat all surfaces and parts in need of sanitizing.  If you have a larger job, like a keg or a carboy, use what you need to sanitize (already clean items) and pour the Star San mixture back in the gallon jug for re-use.  That’s it.  Spray liberally, let stand and drain any excess.

1 Gallon of Star San – How much Star San do I use for 1 Gallon?

I mix up one gallon of Star San at a time.  Just add 6 CCs of Star San to one gallon of distilled or soft water.  How did I come up with 6 CC/ml?  Dosing rate for Star San is 1 ounce per 5 gallons.  That’s .2 ounces for 1 gallon.  .2 ounces = 5.91 ml.  I round that up to 6 CC/ml.

I use a glass gallon jug for storage.  It takes a while but Star San will eat through thin plastic gallon jugs.  I’ve had it happen and it’s not cool.

Measuring 6 CCs/mLs

I use a syringe to measure the 6 CCs needed.  I’ve used a couple different models over the years.  Some with luer locks and some without.  If you get some with luer lock connections, there’s no need to put anything on the luer lock.

Some syringes…

How long is Star San good for?

Star San (diluted sanitizing solution) needs to remain under pH 3 AND be crystal clear.  If your solution of Star San gets cloudy, according to Five Star, it may not be effective.  Hard water will make the solution go cloudy quickly.  If this is happening to you, use distilled water.

Some will say that the clear part is not important.  Here’s the information I’ve gotten from Five Star Chemicals on that:  “The cloudy solution could be okay, but it could be bad. The cloudiness is the surfactant coming out of solution. It has reacted, or is reacting with the metals in the water. I don’t know if it is still good, because I don’t know how much surfactant has reacted. I error on the side of caution and suggest that you don’t even mess with it. Use DI water.

So, as long as it’s clear and the pH is below 3 it’s effective.  Related: Testing Star San Effectiveness

Testing pH

41s3XP8RicL._SX385_Test your Star San solution to make sure it’s under a pH of 3.  If you source pH test papers for this, make sure they read in that range.  I recommend the Micro Essential Labs strips linked below.  They are also featured in my post on Star San Effectiveness.

pH Strips and Meters…

Spray Bottles to Use With the Spray Bottle Method

As mentioned previously, Star San can dissolve plastic over time.  The ACC130 is a professional quality, chemical resistant bottle and sprayer.  Check out my [Hands on Review]

Some spray bottles…

Good Sanitation Starts with Cleaning – Finding PBW Homebrew Cleaner

An important part of sanitizing effectively is starting with something that’s already clean.  I use PBW also from Five Star Chemicals.

Unlike Star San, I go through a lot of PBW.  Under the premise of, buy things in bulk that you use in bulk, I suggest buying the largest size of PBW that makes sense for your budget.

Related: PBW Price Comparisons and Buying Guidance

Buying Star San

1 Gallon Glass Jug for Star San Storage

Savings Estimations

Let’s use the 32 ounce size of Star San for estimation purposes.  32 ounces =  about 946 Milliliters.  At 6 mL per gallon, 32 ounces of concentrated Star San yields about 157 gallons of properly diluted sanitizer.  This is true whether you use the Spray Bottle Method or the old Deluge Method (filling everything up to the brim with Star San).

Let’s say you use a quarter of a gallon per batch using the Spray Bottle Method – I’d make the case that you’d actually use less, maybe significantly less, but let’s be conservative and say 1/4 gallon (32 ounces diluted solution).  At that rate, 32 ounces of concentrate would be enough to sanitize around 628 batches of homebrew.

Compared to the Deluge Method:  For estimation purposes, let’s say the typical brewer would fill a 6 gallon carboy completely full of Star San, use that to sanitize the fermenter and use that same Star San to sanitize everything else that needs sanitized for that batch.  Let’s say that 6 gallons is used up and discarded during the course of finishing each batch of beer from fermentor to bottling or kegging.  Assuming all of that is true, 32 ounces of concentrated Star San lasts for about 27 batches of homebrew.  Compare that with my estimation of a whopping 628 batches using the Spray Bottle Method.

Cost Savings: Let’s say the a 32 ounce container of Star San costs $25 for estimation purposes.

• Spray Bottle Method – estimated 628 batches sanitized for $25
  • Deluge Method – estimated 26 batches sanitized for $25.
  • To sanitize the same 628 batches using the Deluge Method, you’d have to purchase about [24] 32 ounce bottles of Star San at a cost about about $600 if each bottle is $25.
  • $25 or $600?  With these assumptions and estimations, the Spray Bottle Method saves the average brewer about 96%

If we take this one step further and say… you can get a full batch out of 1/8 gallon or 16 ounces, which I think is very possible the numbers start getting crazy.  1,256 batches per 32 ounce bottle of Star San.  Using my same parameters, you would need to purchase 46 bottles to sanitize the same number of batches using the Deluge Method.  That would be $25 in cost vs $1,200.  Or, a $1,175 savings.

Frankly, I think most homebrewers can sanitize an entire batch, from fermenter to keg or bottle using 1/16 gallon of Star San or 8 fluid ounces of diluted sanitizer.   Those numbers become even more crazy.

Want to plug in your own numbers to figure savings?  Online Calculator Star San Cost Estimates – “Spray Bottle” vs “Deluge” methods

In fairness, you could realize similar savings by re-using the 6 gallons of Star San (that’s produced by the Deluge Method) over and over.  However, you’d have to store that and lug it around as necessary and you’d be re-using sanitizer.  If we take our 1/4 gallon estimation and say that that’s the amount that actually gets used up each time, that would mean some of this 6 gallons would have been used 24 times before it’s finally discarded.  The Spray Bottle Method has you using fresh Sanitizer whenever you need it and discarding it after use.

Now I know why my first bottle of Star San lasted well over a half a decade.  If you use 16 ounces of diluted Star San per batch, a 32 ounce bottle lasts for 1,256 batches using these estimates.  At 2 batches per month the bottle would last for just over 52 years.  Practically speaking, it’s probably not going to last that long with keg cleaning, line cleaning and so on, but it really does last a long, long, long time using this technique.

Be Careful

Star San is an acid.  You should be careful with Star San, especially in its undiluted form.  It can cause damage to clothing [See: Lesson Learned, Don’t Do This with Star San], countertops, aluminum items and more.  Always read and follow manufacturer’s directions.

What is Star San?

Star San is a self-foaming acid sanitizer ideal for brewing, dairy and other food and beverage equipment. It is an extremely effective bactericide and fungicide and is not affected by excessive organic soils. Star San also reduces water spotting and can be used without rinsing under the proper concentrations. STAR SAN is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. This synergistic blend provides a unique killing system that is unaffected by excessive organic soils. STAR SAN is also a self-foaming sanitizer. It can be applied through a foamed to produce self-adhering sanitizing foam for external sanitation. STAR SAN is also an excellent sanitizer for hand application. Sanitizing with STAR SAN on a daily basis will leave equipment in an acid condition that will eliminate water spotting.

Star San Material Safety Data Sheet

StarSanMSDS1 – MSDS Dated 6-6-12

This is a Top Post! See: All Top Posts

Recent Great Deals [view more]:

toppost:starsanspraybottlemethod

25 thoughts on “Star San Tips, Tricks and Guidelines – Using Star San In a Spray Bottle

1. Jim Turcotte

I realize this is an old post, but maybe someone will read this and respond. I like the spray bottle idea to stretch the starsan. What about sanitizing bottles? Any ideas or methods?

1. admin Post author

Hey Jim! For bottles, you can either use a spray bottle or there are some bottle sanitizing pumps, I think made by Ferrari, that work pretty well. They can either go right on top of your bottle tree or sit on a table top.

2. dennis fontecchio

do I need to rinse my wine bottles after I fill and shake out the star san or just let them drain and dry upside down?

1. admin Post author

If you’re using properly mixed solution, there is no need to rinse or dry. Rinsing negates the sanition. You can drain the excess solution and bottle right away.

1. admin Post author

I spray several squirts and then carefully shake or roll the carboy to get 100% coverage.

3. Dan

Spray this mixture on corroded battery terminals and prepare to be blown away with how well it helps to clean them. Seriously, takes just seconds. Don’t be stranded this winter!

4. Jacob M Pitsch

I use the ml measurement on the reverse side of the Star San bottle. It calls for 30ml/gal, so I simply measure up to 6ml.

5. EchoTony

I’ve been using the spray bottle method for a few years with great success. I normally mix up a 5 gallon batch and fill 2 spray bottles with that. I then use the bucket full that’s left for soaking keg parts, auto siphon bits, transfer lines, airlocks, and bungs. I use the spray bottles on everything else (and on the parts that were soaked if needed as well). My 5 gallon bucket normally has about 3-4 gallons after I fill the bottles and brew a batch. I then put the lid on the bucket and keep it for at least 2 weeks, if not much longer. The bottles I will use until empty. I’ve never had an infection issue.
    My water his very hard and the solution will turn cloudy in just one day. If the cloudy solution was the sign of it going bad, then I’ve been wasting my time trying to sanitize at all. But since I’ve been using this method for over 5 years (since switching from bleach and later iodine) with no infections, I think cloudy solution is not a good measure of the quality of your solution.

6. J

Star San will cause pitting in stainless according to the information shared on the previously mentioned BREWING NETWORK podcast (as I recall). Long term storage is not recommended in kegs unless that is the purpose of that particular keg.

1. sc

I believe they said ‘plain water will pit stainless faster than StarSan would’. I keep StarSan in a keg for dispensing, have done for years (same keg, 3+ years). I fill 2.5 gallons (due to my usage rate) – there is absolutely no visible pitting or ‘fill line’ i can see on the keg’s internal wall. I mix per the StarSan instructions (.5 ouce in 2.5 gallons of distilled water – technically I round up to 15ml/cc).

Think about it – Star San is about as acidic as soda; these kegs were designed for Soda. When I see people claiming it ate stainless, it is usually a small part or something – probably something that is chromed or plated and not actual stainless (chinese ‘stainless’ or chromed or something else). I’ve never seen one report of a keg or other proper stainless object being damaged by StarSan. I have seen a number of other people say they keep it in there for years like I do, no problem. StarSan on tap is fantastic! I can dispense straight to a carboy/keg for sanitizing, re-fill my spray bottle whenever, and put any ball lock fitting/hose/etc on the tap to fill it with sanitizer right-quick (no disassembly required).

My 2c. If anyone has a confired report of StarSan damaging stainless, please post (including what grade stainless and how long the contact time and what concentration of StarSan)

7. Scott Millican

So, how long in a plastic jug does it take to eat through it. I mean it comes non diluted in a plastic container…granted not the same type of plastic container, but still.

I store mine in distilled water jugs that I use for another purpose. Been sitting with diluted star san in them for 3-4months and no leaks as of yet.

1. admin Post author

It took quite a while the time it happened to me. Longer than 3 or 4 months, but it’s been a while and I’m not exactly sure. I would say maybe I had a bad gallon jug or it was somehow otherwise damaged, but I’ve had other people say this has also happened to them.

8. Toby

Thanks for the write-up! Always a good idea to reduce chemical waste/consumption. Just a note on the following line:
    “If you have a larger job, like a keg or a carboy, use what you need to sanitize (already clean items) and pour the Star San mixture back in the gallon jug for re-use.”

In microbiology research, it is basically a cardinal sin to re-use any sanitizing solution. The reason is that once you have used the sanitizing solution, it is contaminated and weakened (even if just slightly). In practice, the solution may still have enough “sanitizing power” to do a sufficient job, but it definitely violates best practices.

Whatever you choose, I wish you a happy and infection-free brew. Cheers!

1. admin Post author

Thanks for the thoughts Toby! For a laboratory scenario, I think that guideline is very reasonable. For what we’re doing, I think that you can re-use sanitizer with good practical results. For additional information I would refer people to the 3/19/2006 episode of the Brewing Network’s “The Session”. Charlie Talley one of the founders of Five Star Chemical Company (the makers of Star San) give some thoughts on it’s use for homebrewing.

9. Noiz Boy

The “thing” is mentioned in their email to you. It’s the surfactant. What that is, is a chemical that lets another chemical coat and get into the knocks and crannies.

SO the problem is that while the PH is fine and it will kill whatever it touches, if it’s surfactant is not working it won’t touch everything it needs to. THAT is the problem.

You are talking about saving a few pennies by putting 5 gal of homebrew at risk. Hmmm the math isn’t that hard.

10. Anonymous

I keep a StarSan solution in an old 5 G bottling bucket. Its easy to dispense into a tray to soak stuff in on brewday and then I just pour it back in the bucket (provided it didnt get mucked up). Its really decreased my sanitzer waste.
    By the way, I emailed Five Star and they reported that starsan will not dissolve plastic buckets.

11. Anonymous

i would also find out exactly what the “cloudy” “thing” is that you speak of that is not chemically good for sanitization, rather than saying “cloudy thing”..sounds less credible..

12. Anonymous

how does cloudiness negatively affect star san? i’ve seen videos of experimentation on this subject. as long as the pH stays balance it should work just fine

13. Homebrew Finds

I don’t completely understand the chemistry, but there are two components to the sanitizing power of star san. One is pH.

The other is some other thing that I don’t know what it’s called. 🙂 But whatever that thing is, when the solution gets cloudy, it’s that thing coming out of solution.

So, pH is not the only indicator of effectiveness.

I used cloudy star san for quite a while before learning about this without an issue. I don’t think anyone is saying it does no good at all. I think it has something to do with how much of the whatever it’s called has come out of solution.

I say better safe than sorry. Distilled water costs under a buck and with this technique a gallon last a long, long time.

14. Anonymous

There’s been quite a few tests done on the PH of starsan that has been used in hard water or gotten cloudy after a period of time and the PH level stays where it needs to be. I think it’s a marketing ploy to make you dump it and use more! 🙂 Check out all the threads at HomeBrewTalk for discussions about it.

1. Marcus

The PH, according to the article is only part of the issue. It is not the PH itself that causes the cloudiness, but rather the metals in the hard water that bind to the sanitizing agent in StarSan that causes the cloudiness. How much of this chemical agent that becomes “bound’ and is no longer present in effective concentration to sanitize becomes the issue.

15. Anonymous

I put starsan into a corny keg, and have it on tap next to my brewstand. Use distilled water and it will keep forever. I use a spray bottle too, but I just refill it from the keg, it also allows me to flush hoses and anything else without any problems.