If you don’t follow Scott Janish… I think you should I really enjoy his homebrewing articles. Many are analytical in nature. Check out his website (link below) and also check him out on Twitter at @scottjanish.
- Gluten Free Home Brewing – dedicated GF Homebrew Shop
- Resource Post: Gluten Free and Gluten Reduced Homebrewing Resources
- Build a Spunding Valve – How and Why
Millet belongs to the same grass family as barley, maize, and sorghum. It’s said to be a versatile crop because of its ability to thrive in harsh conditions. One source mentioned that millet is one of the oldest crops known to humans, possibly dating back to 2800 B.C! There are numerous varieties of millet, with proso millet (Panicum miliaceum L.) “common millet” is likely what you will find at a place like Whole Foods or a local organic market in bulk (this is what I was able to find). There doesn’t appear to be a vast amount of research done on brewing with millet, but from what I could locate, it does appear to produce acceptable beers. Across the literature, millet was often compared very closely to sorghum, which has been used in many parts of the world mainly in European-type lagers.
One reason some might want to experiment brewing beers with millet is because it’s gluten-free. Other carb-rich grains that could be used in brewing that don’t contain gluten are buckwheat, amaranth, and quinoa (I’ve experimented with quinoa with good results, although as a part of a barley grist). Oats can be tolerated by most, but not all people intolerant to gluten. The gluten content of beers is fairly low considering the high amounts present early in the brewing process (6,864 ppm present in wort going all the way down to around 200ppm in finished beer or around 1.9%). [KEEP READING – on Scott Janish.com]
Third Party Resource: This resource is part of our selection of top Third Party homebrewing resources. Check out the entire list of resources Third Party Homebrew Resources
Recent Great Deals [view more]:
- Inline CO2 Regulator [control each keg separately] – $9.99 + free shipping…
- Shorts Brewing Company Soft Parade Clone – from $49.99 + free shipping
- Homebrew Temp Controller Roundup! – Kegerator and Fermentation – con…
- 1/2″ Threaded Stainless .5 Micron Aeration/Oxygenation Stone – oxyge…
- “No Keg” Kegging System – Regulator, Tubing, Faucet & Bal…
- MoreBeer pH Calibration Solutions – Set of 2 – $7.99
- Brewers Hardware Sale and Clearance!