What Size Are Ball Lock Keg Posts?
There are two primary post sizes for standard ball lock kegs. 11/16″ and 7/8″. These can come in both 6 point and 12 point, compatible variations. I’ve seen two other post sizes. 5/8″ and 9/16″. I consider those more non-standard. This post focuses on 11/16″ and 7/8″.
I usually use a wrench when dealing with ball lock keg posts. I have one wrench that works with both sizes – See: Hands on Review: “Ball Lock Keg Wrench” – 11/16″+7/8″ Ratcheting Wrench – via Apollo Tools Wrench Set – but having a socket is sometimes super handy and sometimes potentially required.
What about 12 Point vs 6 Point Posts?
For the larger 7/8″ posts I’ve seen both 6 point and 12 point styles. A 12 point socket will work on a 6 point post, but not vice versa. For the smaller 11/16″ posts I have only seen 6 point. Not to say that 12 point don’t exist, I just don’t recall seeing any.
This post looks at both sizes to prove what I’m saying here, however, when looking for a 7/8″ socket, I recommend a 12 point design. That gives you the flexibility to work with both 6 and 12 point style posts. For the smaller 11/16″ socket, a 6 point design should work.
These Only Work With Ball Lock Kegs, Why?
These sockets will only work with standard Ball Lock Keg Posts. Pin Lock Kegs require a special socket that has a notch in it to allow the post pin to slip through.
Lots more info… What’s the Difference Between Ball Lock Kegs and Pin Lock Kegs?
If you need a Pin Lock Socket, See: Keg Sockets – Choose Your Sockets – via Keg Connection, choose the Pin Lock Option
Hands on Review Craftsman Sockets for Ball Lock Keg Posts
This post looks at four Craftsman Deep Sockets. I purchased these at Amazon. Note that multiple variations of this product may be available, as such a different version may appear when you click on the product link
- 11/16″ 6 point: CRAFTSMAN Deep Socket, SAE, 3/8-Inch Drive, 11/16-Inch, 6-Point (CMMT43336)
- 11/16″ 12 point: CRAFTSMAN Deep Socket, SAE, 1/2-Inch Drive, 11/16-Inch, 12-Point (CMMT47524)
- Not Recommended, See Conclusions at the end of this review – 7/8″ 6 point: CRAFTSMAN Deep Socket, SAE, 3/8-Inch Drive, 7/8-Inch, 6-Point (CMMT43339)
- 7/8″ 12 point: CRAFTSMAN Deep Socket, SAE, 1/2-Inch Drive, 7/8-Inch, 12-Point (CMMT47528)
- CRAFTSMAN Deep Socket, SAE, 1/2-Inch Drive, 7/8-Inch, 12-Point (CMMT47528)
- CRAFTSMAN Deep Socket, SAE, 3/8-Inch Drive, 11/16-Inch, 6-Point (CMMT43336)
Since the driver that I keep in my brewery area is 3/8″ drive, I also used this adapter