- VACUUM SEALER COMPATIBLE: Our patented SteelPak bag is the ONLY metallized Mylar bag that works in most major vacuum sealers (without added attachments).
- SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN BETTER THAN PLASTIC/POLY VACUUM BAGS: Independent testing (see images on left) demonstrate our SteelPak 4 mil. Mylar bags are scientifically 4500% more effective at blocking oxygen penetration than all leading poly vacuum bags.
- MULTIPLE USES: Great for sous vide cooking, refrigeration, dry packing or freezing (for long term storage). Not for microwave use.
- ENGINEERED FOR FOOD SAFETY AND LONG-TERM STORAGE: Textured to allow for maximum air removal to provide longer refrigerator and freezer storage life and protection from freezer burn (see comparison photo on left).
- BETTER PROTECTION, BETTER VALUE: Don’t spend more for less protection – Our patented one of a kind storage bags combine the benefits of vacuum sealing with the protection of Mylar.
Vacuum sealing with a FoodSaver, Seal-a-Meal or similar is a great way store food, hops, grains, spices and more. Vacuum bags work to seal out oxygen, prevent freezer burn and more.
What Are the Advantages Mylar Bags?
Generally speaking Mylar bags consist of three layers. Two Mylar layers that laminate a center aluminum foil layer. This combination provides strength, flexibility and durability along with an extremely low Oxygen Transmission Rate (OTR). These bags also block potentially damaging light. Combine this with vacuum sealing and you’ve got an outstanding way to store food & more.
Search Amazon for “food grade mylar bags” – to see lots of current offerings
For homebrewer’s… Vacuum sealed Mylar bags are an excellent way to store hops and other oxygen sensitive materials. As a testament to this, many hop distributors distribute hops in Mylar bags. Sometimes those are vacuum sealed and sometimes they are nitrogen flushed.
Do Mylar Bags Work with FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers?
A FoodSaver (or similar) is a standard home suction type vacuum sealer that relies on special bags. We generally call them… vacuum sealer bags. These bags are embossed or textured to create channels on the inside of the bag. Those channels allow a FoodSaver to draw out air and create a vacuum all while the machine is clamped down. When this process is done a heat strip seals the bag locking in the vacuum state.
Mylar bags have smooth walls. Since they don’t have the required special channels they will not work with FoodSaver machines.
But, Wait… SteelPak Textured Vacuum Sealing Bags!
SteelPak has introduced a metalized vacuum bag that features an embossed/channeled design that allows these bags to work with FoodSaver-type vacuum machines.
- 11”x14” SteelPak Textured/Embossed Mylar Vacuum Sealer Bags – One Gallon Size Hot Seal Commercial Grade Food Sealer Bags for Food Storage and Sous Vide (28, 50 or 500) (50)
- (50) 6”x10” SteelPak Textured/Embossed Mylar Aluminum Foil Vacuum Sealer Bags – Quart Size Hot Seal Commercial Grade Food Sealer Bags for Food Storage and Sous Vide (50, 6×10)
- Mylar Vacuum Seal 8″x16′ or 11″x16′ Rolls | SteelPak Textured/Embossed Aluminum Foil Vacuum/Heat Seal Rolls to Create Custom-Sized Vacuum Sealer Bags (1, 11″x16′)0
Note that multiple variations of these products may be available, as such a different version may appear at these links
Sealing Mylar Bags Using Traditional FoodSaver-Type Machines
Related: Saving Dry Yeast With a Vacuum Sealer
Related: Hop Deals!
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
10 Most Recent Homebrew Resource Posts & How-To’s!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.