Generally Speaking, I think you should replace all keg o-rings when you refurbish or obtain a used keg.
Limited Time Deal, Article Continues Below:
Valuebrew offers a lineup of food grade keg replacement o-rings in bulk quantities. Most offerings are silicone with one Buna-N option. Everything they carry is food grade, more info below. They have some unique offerings like bulk pin lock size post o-rings, replacement universal poppet o-rings, bulk internal QD o-rings and color coded Blue and Green post o-rings
Some of these offerings are featured in our Keg Rebuild How-To
For a short time, Valuebrew is offering free shipping when you buy four or more packs of 50 o-rings. Choose from custom blue and green, dip tube, ball and pin lock posts, universal poppet and internal QD. You can also add on lid orings and their exclusive ball lock jumpers.
What about after that? Of course, you could just keep using them until they break, they smell or look horrible or… until you lose a tank of CO2 due to an o-ring related leak.
How Often Should You Replace Keg O-Rings?
If you’re looking to be more proactive, I would suggest using Daylight Savings dates as a reminder. Something like this…
- Daylight Savings Begins (Spring): Replace high leak risk and high contact o-rings – Post O-Rings (especially gas), Internal QD O-Rings and Universal Poppet O-Rings.
- Daylight Savings Time Ends (Fall): Replace all keg, poppet and QD o-rings.
Most of these o-rings are pennies each when bought in reasonable bulk quantities. Regularly replacing, costs very little and helps stave off unwanted off flavors, leaks and lost CO2. This schedule should keep your kegs working great from a gasket perspective.
The one gaskets that are a little more expensive are lid o-rings. If you wanted to get a little more life out of those, you could replace lid o-rings in odd years when Daylight Savings Time Ends (Fall). This would make them two years old when they’re replaced.
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
Let’s Be Friends!
- Our Last Fifty Finds
- Curated List of Keg Deals
- Curated List of Hop Deals
- Our 10 Most Recent Homebrew Resource Posts
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best of the best
- Our 10 Most Recent Reviews
- Our Top Draft and Kegerator Resource Pages
- Our Top Posts – a huge library of how-tos, resources posts & more
- Our Massive Library of Reviews – view the entire list of use our Review by Categories to find just what you’re looking for
More: Our Last Fifty Finds!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions. top:rebuildkeglnksto lnksto:kegrebuild rp:lnkshowoften