Part of Our Homebrew Tips and Tricks Series. Check out the complete list – Homebrewing Tips, Tricks & Shortcuts!
- Start with a well-sized kettle. Having some margin, gives you a better chance to fight the dreaded boil-over.
- Be alert! When your wort hits hot-break temperatures, boil-overs can happen quickly.
- Adding hops is another potential boil-over inducing event that should be ready for.
- Stir the Foam! If you’re fighting a boil-over… stir the foam. No need to stir the entire batch, just stir the very top to break up the foam more quickly.
- A spray bottle of water (set to a moderate mist) works well to combat foam
- A wooden spoon placed over the top of your brew kettle can help break up foam. Personally I would not use this as primary defense.
- FermCap-S Foam Control – This is designed to control foam. It settles out during fermentation and actually helps increase head retention.
- Search Amazon for “food safe spray bottle”
- Search Amazon for “24 stainless whisk”
- Related Review: Hands On: 24″ Stainless Steel Whisk – Extract, All Grain and Whirlpooling
- Related Categories: Stirring, Mash Paddles, Propane Burners, Kettles
Pinned: Black Friday Roundup! – Amazon Black Friday – Keg Rebuild
More: Our Last Fifty Finds!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.