Pictured: Deli Food Storage Containers with Lids, 16 Ounce – via Amazon
Part of Our Homebrew Tips and Tricks Series. Check out the complete list – Homebrewing Tips, Tricks & Shortcuts!
- Note: This tip involves handling hot items. Always use extreme caution when handling hot items to avoid being scalded.
- These containers are generally food safe and microwave safe.
- They also, generally, have tight lids. Lids are either not quite airtight – That’s perfect for storing a yeast cake for your next batch as, the yeast may need to off-gas – Or airtight – That’s okay too as popping a lid off one of these isn’t usually a huge deal.
- You can sanitize these by microwaving some water in them. Place the lid loosely on top so that it can get sanitized by steam. Be very careful around boiling water and steam, you can get hurt. Or, santize with your favorite food grade homebrew sanitizer.
- These type of containers are also handy for general storage, rehydrating yeast, sample collection and lots more. Non-brewing related bonus… these are great for giving food-stuffs away as they are economical enough that you don’t need to worry about getting your container back.
- There are many offerings for these types of containers and they can change quickly. Search Amazon for “pint deli containers” to see what’s out there. Some things to look for – food safe materials, microwave safe and tight fitting lids.
- Credit for this tip goes to Denny Conn!
- Related Categories: Fermentation, Yeast
More: Our Last Fifty Finds!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.