Part of Our Homebrew Tips and Tricks Series. Check out the complete list – Homebrewing Tips, Tricks & Shortcuts!
- Forgot to take an original gravity and still want an estimate of ABV? No problem. You’ll need a refractometer and a hydrometer.
- Take careful measurements with each. Thoroughly de-gas the sample to get a more accurate reading.
- Run those numbers through this equation. SG is the gravity reading obtained from the hydrometer, Brix is the reading obtained from the refractometer. ABV = [277.8851 – 277.4(SG) + 0.9956(Brix) + 0.00523(Brix2) + 0.000013(Brix3)] x (SG/0.79).
- This is a great reason to get a refractometer. There are many offerings and they can change quickly. Shop Around, Search Amazon for “dual scale refractometer” to compare prices and see what models are currently available.
- More reasons to get a refractometer! See Tip 9.
- Thanks to BYO for this formula. Not a subscriber? Subscribe to BYO
- Related Categories: Fermentation, Refractometers
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.