Using RO (Reverse Osmosis) water allows you to build your brewing water profile from the ground up, creating exactly the profile you’re looking for. Home Brew Supply has published an introduction to RO filtering and brewing water.
Resources for Water Filtering and Adjustment
- Hands On Review: 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter by Reverse Osmosis Revolution
- HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy – via Amazon
- Water by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski – via Amazon
- Hands on Review: LaMotte Brew Lab Plus Water Test Kit
- HydroLogic RO Systems via Home Brew Supply
From Homebrew Supply: “Beer is traditionally made from four ingredients- malt, hops, yeast, and water. While we all pay careful attention to our malt choices, the character of the hops, and selection of yeast- but don’t often consider the water. Since beer is 90% water, it is a crucial ingredient in brewing. If your tap water is full of chlorine, alkaline (leaving scale on the fixtures), has an odor, or you don’t know what is in it, purchasing your own reverse osmosis machine can be a wise choice.
Home RO systems are common in many households for making coffee, using in aquariums, for drinking water and homebrewers are also finding them indispensable.” [keep reading]