Why would you want to add a Schrader style valve to your ball lock or pin lock keg homebrew keg? Great question. I’m not sure. I was interested in doing it as part of a post I’m doing for our Homebrew Hacks series of how-tos. More on that later.
This was really just a matter of putting the right fittings together. Pictured: Milton (S-684-4) 1/4″ MNPT Male Tank Valve – Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Coupling, 1/4″ x 1/4″ Female Pipe – LASCO 17-6783 1/4-Inch Female Flare by 1/4-Inch Male Pipe Thread Brass Adapter
A quick check to make sure all of this fit together
Everything tightened down with teflon tape
This assembly is a tank/Schrader style valve to a 1/4″ x 1/4″ female to female coupling to a 1/4″ NPT to 1/4″ flare fitting. All that to say, I have this threaded onto a ball lock QD here, but it could just as easily thread into an MFL pin lock QD.
Installed and pressurized. This may give you a hint as to what the the related post will be about, but… maybe not.
The parts and pieces I used, all via Amazon:
- Milton (S-684-4) 1/4″ MNPT Male Tank Valve
- Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Coupling, 1/4″ x 1/4″ Female Pipe
- LASCO 17-6783 1/4-Inch Female Flare by 1/4-Inch Male Pipe Thread Brass Adapter
- OneBom Ball Lock Disconnect, Gas & Liquid Corny Keg Fittings, MFL 1/4’’ Threaded with 5/16’’ Stainless Steel Barbed & Hose Clamp (Ball Lock Kit)
- Dixon Valve TTB75 PTFE Industrial Sealant Tape, -212 to 500 Degree F Temperature Range, 3.5mil Thick, 520″ Length, 3/4″ Width, White
Recent Great Deals [view more]:
- 25% Off Homebrew Keg Kits + 25% Off Kegs + Free Shipping
- 14 Gallon Drum – Eagle 1610MB – [Grain Storage, Water Collection, Fe…
- Vittles Vault Outback 35 lb Airtight Storage Container [~42 lb Grain Capacity]…
- Up to $30 Off Purpose Built Brewmaster Stainless Steel Homebrew Kettles + Free S…
- Chef Craft 1 Ounce Measure… $1.18 + free prime ship
- Make Your Own Homebrew Hard Seltzer – White Claw Clone Kits from $13.35 vi…
- Organic Kombucha Scoby – $6.90 + free prime ship
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.