Extech Non-Contact IR Infrared Thermometer
Extech IRT25 Infrared Thermometer 12: 1 with Audible Alarm by Extech Instruments
From the product description, check product page for current description, price and availability:
- Quickly take non-contact temperature measurements from -4 to 700°F (-20 to 371°c)
- “Built-in laser pointer identifies target area while programmable high/low alarms alerts user visually and audibly when temperature exceeds set limits (audible alarm can be muted).”
- Bright white backlighting illuminates display for taking measurements at night or in areas with low background light levels.
- Automatic data hold and max/min function stores allow for easy maximum and minimum readings with easy recall
- The IRT25 comes complete with two AA batteries
Since this is no touch, you can check the temp of yeast washing and yeast rehydration water and your starter wort without the risk of infection. I find mine particularly useful for rehydrating yeast.
Infrared thermometers should not be considered a direct replacement for a conventional thermometer. A quality IR thermometer will give you a close approximation of surface temperatures. Note that steam seems to throw off readings. Uses include: Contained yeast rehydration water, chilled wort or starter temperature, kegerator, fermenter or fermentation area and beer tasting samples. If you’re looking for a great conventional thermometer consider Thermapen ONE – Hands on Review