The Grainfather with Connect Controller – via William’s BrewingMore Info
The Grainfather is a 110 volt compact self contained RIMS mashing, boiling, and cooling system for mashing 5 gallon batches of beer. What is unique is that no special circuit, plug, or wiring is needed – this runs on any 110 volt 20 amp rated plug with a GFCI. It features a 6 watt recirculating pump, for the mashing stage, and a separate counter flow wort chiller that you insert into the Grainfather when it is time to cool the 5 gallon batch after the electric powered boil. The boil is handled by a 1600 watt heating element.
For the initial mashing stage, you load the Grainfather with crushed grist (up to 18 pounds) per your recipe, set the thermostat to your desired mash temperature, add water, and let it go. Because it is a RIMS system, you can easily do multiple temperature rest mashing if desired – just adjust the temperature upwards with the thermostat whenever you want to go to another temperature rest. In addition the manual thermostat control, the Grainfather Connect Bluetooth control is also included.
After the mash cycle is done, you lift the grain basket partially so you can manually sparge by pouring water over the grain basket into the Grainfather below. You need to heat your own mash water, either by heating 5 gallons or so to boiling with the Grainfather before mashing and storing it in a stainless boiling pot, or heating when it is time to sparge with a separate brew pot on a stove. What we did was heat our sparge water in the Grainfather by getting it to boil in the Grainfather, then transferrring to a stainless boiling pot, and putting a lid on the pot. We then heated the pot briefly on a stove to raise it from 160° F. to the 168° F. needed for sparging,
After manual sparging, the grain basket is removed and you set the 1600 watt electric element to boil. It takes about 60-80 minutes to come to boil depending on ambient temperature. Hops are added manually during the boil per your recipe plan.
When the boil is over, you insert the included counter flow wort chiller to chill the wort which requires an external supply of cold water to run. Our tests found this counter flow chiller extremely efficient, we chilled a 5 gallon batch of Double IPA to pitching temperature (about 78° F.) in 25 minutes, and only used 20 gallons of 70° F. water. It was so efficient that we just ran the end of the wort pipe from the counterflow directly into our fermenter.
After brewing, you run about 3 gallons of water (ideally saved from the chill) through the GrainFather again with a bit of PBW or other cleaner to clean the pump, lines, and counter flow chiller.
The Grainfather comes with a 1 year warranty. We also offer a 60 day money back guarantee on everything we sell, even if you have used it (although this does not cover return shipping). It is 27″ tall with the recirculation tube attached, the cylinder body is 12″ in diameter, and 15″ in overall diameter when you consider the pump and thermostat.
A Grainfather app which allows you to upload recipes, and times your brew, is available free for Android and iOS. For iOS, go to iTunes and search for Grainfather, for Android, go to Google Play (the Android App has just been updated!). The included Connect Controller includes Bluetooth connectivity.
Note from HBF: I have a Grainfather (without connect controller) and I love it. It’s my go-to brewing system. I’ve have had or currently have multiple full scale and small scale systems and find myself coming back to the Grainfather again and again.
For a short time, William’s Brewing including a free distilling lid with purchase of a Grainfather with Connect Controller. No coupon or promo code is necessary. Check product page for current availability.
Update: This promo has expired or pricing, availability or description has changed – Check the supplier’s site or product page for current availability
Recent Deals! Last Fifty Finds
Want to Double Dip on Savings? Check out these stacking sales and deals
- William’s Brewing has an ongoing Web Only Clearance. That features discounts on a regularly changing selection of gear and supplies.
- Look to the right of the Web Only Clearance section. There is a Product Specials section that shows sale items.
- Hops – William’s discounts hops (by 15%+, sometimes more) when you purchase 6 packs of hops – packs are available in 1,2 and 6 oz sizes. Any size counts as a pack.
- Blank 6 Pack Holders – quantity discounts are available
- Quantity discounts are available on Oak Infusion Spirals
- Quantity discounts are sometimes available on Intertap Faucets when you buy three or more – other times free add ons are offered
- Save on 74 Gram CO2 Cartridges when you buy 8 or more
- Buy 8 More TM Desanamax – closed system cleaner – and save
- Buy 8 lbs of Green Coffee Beans and save $1 per lb
- Quantity discounts on Universal Poppet Valves
- Quantity discounts on Oversize Kid Lid O-rings – helps fix leaky keg lids
- Tap Handle Inserts – make your own tap handle – quantity discounts
- Quantity discounts on plate filter pads
- Buy 4 or more Strip Thermometers and save
- William’s periodically offers a free add on item when you purchase a Grainfather
More Ideas – everyday great deals:
- PERLICK FAUCET 630SS GROWLER FILLER – great deal at $6.99
- Blichmann Gear at William’s Brewing – rarely discounted, this promo works with Blichmann Gear
- Great Prices and Selection of Dry Yeast
- Micro Regulators and Parts at William’s Brewing – Hands on Review
- Hops – includes some 2017 crop varieties – stacks with additional 20% savings when you buy 8 or more packs (mix and match)
- MARK II WORT PUMP from $69.99
- OXYGEN REGULATOR – Made in the US
- MEAD KIT… $7.99, – you provide honey
- Kegland Kegerators – Designed for Homebrewers – Hands on Review
- Intertap Faucets and Shanks – Hands on Review
Visit William’s Brewing – Web Only Clearance Sale