Bucket photo courtesy of MoreBeer – Search MoreBeer for “Bucket” – For illustrative purposes, I’m not suggesting that you buy this. Read the tip below.
Be Friendly = Get Cheap Buckets for Homebrew
For years, I have suggested to homebrewers that bottle – make friends with your local craft beer bartenders. Especially beer spots that carry heavy glass, refillable German and Belgian types of bottles. These bottles are beautiful and well made and the labels generally come off very easily. If you make friends with your local purveyor of quality craft beers you can usually grab these bottles for free or for the cost of bottle deposit. You’ve saved some beautiful bottles for re-use, helped your homebrew standout by using awesome bottles and saved some money.
How about making friends with your local baker or donut shop? The reason you may want to do that is, first you could eat a donut and those are pretty tasty. Second, bakeries and donut shops sometimes purchase icing in 5 or 6 gallon buckets. Those buckets should be food safe, since they… already have food in them. The trash to treasure principal applies here. Bakeries that use these have an abundance of them with no great place to send them other than the trash or possibly recycling. Make friends with your local baker and you may just score some free or near free food safe buckets for fermenting, grain storage and general around the brewery use.
More About Buckets and Storage!
- Search Food Safe Bucket on Amazon
- Silicone Airlock Grommets – via Amazon. Helps you adapt a bucket lid to receive an airlock
- Search Gamma Seal Lids on Amazon. Gamma Seal Lids are a great upgrade. You attach the base of the unit to the bucket and leave that intact. The lid screws on and off easily. No more prying lids off. These are also airtight. I use buckets with Gamma Seal Lids as my primary storage for bulk grain and recipe kits. – Learn More! Hands On Review: Gamma Seal Lids for Homebrew Grain Storage
- Also Consider: Hands on Review: Vittles Vault Stackable Storage Bins for Homebrew Grain Storage!
- Storage Options! – Base Grain, Specialty Grain and DME
- Homebrew Fermentors – Deals, Discounts and Coupons! + Reviews
Pinned: Black Friday Roundup! – Amazon Black Friday – Keg Rebuild
More: Our Last Fifty Finds!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.