Toward the beginning of 2013, HBF Reader [8 Ways to Connect with HBF] Kirk encouraged me to look around for a suitable whisk for stirring up the mash. Brilliant! Others chimed in that this works well as a mash paddle or spoon replacement, making quick work of breaking up dough balls.
This is a full 24″ longHere’s my 10 gallon Igloo Cooler mash tun. As you can see this is plenty long enough to get to the bottom.This is a nice sturdy whisk. I came up with about 2.2 mm for the wire thickness.This works great for stirring up the mash. I’m using it here to stir up the mash for a BIAB brew session of More Beer’s Pliny the Elder Kit [See: Brewing Pliny the Elder]. Also: Hands on Review The Brew Bag!This whisk also works great for stirring in DME and LME. In this picture, I’m brewing a Zythos IPA Extract Kit. After incorporating the LME in this recipe, like a super hero, with this whisk. I poured in the DME and Maltodextrin the recipe called for and let it sit there for a little bit. This, of course caused a substantial clump to form.After a little bit of whiskingAfter a little more whisking. This whisk makes easy work of stirring in extract. It also feels like it’s doing a better job of thoroughly mixing extract versus a spoon.It’s hard to catch it in a picture but this thing makes it easy to get a kettle whirlpool going. I’ve always had a hard time getting any sort of a whirlpool going with a spoon or mash paddle. The whisk is circular, so it’s always working with you in the task of starting a whirlpool. This just makes it downright easy.
This works amazingly well in the mash tun, to stir in extract and to get a whirlpool going. It can generally be had for a very reasonable price. Because of the affordability and it’s effectiveness, I think that every full batch (5 gal+) homebrewer should consider picking one up.
I’ve used this for brewing for years and can enthusiastically recommend it to you.
What are Other’s Saying? Search this product’s Amazon reviews for “brew” – may include reviews for other sizes or variations
Some of the reader feedback we’ve received on this whisk over the years…
Some of the Reader Feedback We’ve Received…
- Scott: I used this for the first time yesterday with 11.5 pounds of grain and it worked like a champ! No dough balls at all – mixes the grain so quickly!
- Facebook Friend Kirk: I used mine yesterday. I have dubbed it the Dough Ball Decimator!
- Ricky: I got one of these the last time it was posted. They work great. You stir your mash differently. You can’t really muscle your mash the same way. It works better despite this. It’s much easier to break clumps up. A little two handed whisking gets everything is evenly mixed.
- Facebook Friend Andrew : I have used one for my last 2 yeast starters to mix the DME before boiling… Amazing.
- Jared: After following your site for quite some time now, and purchasing many items because you let me know about them, I just received the 24″ whisk. I can’t believe how awesome this thing is just by pulling it out of the shipping package! I am so excited about this I might just have to brew this weekend even though I don’t really have the time. Not only would this piece be awesome for the mash, but dissolving LME and DME and keep it off of the bottom. What a great piece of equipment and thanks for sharing it!
- Aaron: I have this exact same French Whip and love it, works way better than the old mash paddle I used before. It really cuts through the grain and helps ensure no dough balls etc. Definitely recommend this above any other stirring tools I’ve used!
- Facebook Friend Wayne: I discovered using one of these about 3 years ago. Don’t know how I ever got along without it. Never have a problem with doughballs. Just make sure you get one that is stiff enough.
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
10 Most Recent Homebrew Resource Posts & How-To’s!
We are Homebrew Review HQ! Our 10 Most Recent Reviews
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.
This is a Top Post! See: All Top Posts review:24inchwhisk tag:tpr rs:4