I periodically brew small batches that require less that a full packet of dry yeast. See: Small Batch, All Grain Stove Top Brewing + Water Calculation Spreadsheet. For that matter, sometimes larger beers require a full packet plus.
To save money and reduce waste, I use my vacuum sealer to store partial packets of dried yeast.
Here’s the procedure I use…
- Determine the proper amount of yeast using a pitching rate calculator. If you don’t have a pitching rate calculator, sign up for a free non-expiring Brewfather trial account.
- Prepare the proper amount of re-hydration water. Generally, you’ll prepare 10 grams of water for every one gram of yeast needed, but consult manufacturer’s directions.
- Put the prepared rehydration water on an accurate gram scale – I use the AWS-100 from American Weigh [Hands on Review]. Make sure the scale has a “tare” feature or otherwise account for the weight of the container and water.
- Zero the scale out using the tare feature.
- Cut the yeast packet open and slowly pour the yeast into the rehydration water. Careful, there’s no going back if you pour too much. 🙂
- When I get the amount of yeast I’m looking for, I immediately seal the yeast packet (if it’s a mylar type material) using the heat strip sealer on my vacuum sealer.
- I write the amount of remaining yeast on the packet using a Sharpie and then seal that in vacuum bag for additional protection.
- This is quick and easy, reduces waste and saves money.
Good Sources for Dry Yeast
- Safale S-04 (3 ct.11.5 g Packs) via Amazon
- Safale US-05 (3 ct.11.5 g Packs) via Amazon
- Dry Yeast at William’s Brewing – William’s carries a variety of manufacturers and strains including (as of this update) Safale, Lallemand, and Mangrove Jacks
- Label Peelers, generally, has free shipping on dry yeast, no minimum order amount, to addresses in the contiguous US. Fermentis Yeast – Lallemand Yeast – Check Label Peelers for current availability
- Safale US-05 via MoreBeer
Gear, Supplies and Related Resources
- Search Amazon for “digital gram scale”
- Amazon Best Sellers in Vacuum Sealers
- Review: Hands On Review: American Weigh AWS-100 – 100g x 0.01g Digital Scale
- Review: Hands on Review: Brewfather App
- Review: Hands on Review: FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealer
- Top Post: Saving Dry Yeast With a Vacuum Sealer!
- Related Categories: Yeast, FoodSaver, Vacuum Sealing
More Homebrew Finds!
- Last 50 Finds!
- Top Deals – a curated list of the best deals
- Homebrew Reviews – one of the largest libraries of homebrew reviews in existence!
- Our Top Posts – tips, how-tos, resources posts and more
- Let’s be Friends!
10 Most Recent Homebrew Resource Posts & How-To’s!
We are Homebrew Review HQ! Our 10 Most Recent Reviews
More Fermentation Related!
- Our Fermentation Related Reviews – Fermenters and More
- Yeast Starters and Fermentation Resource Page
- Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
- Compare Prices: StirStarter Stir Plate
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions. toppost:savingdryyeast rp:tips#18 tag:tpr