US-05 image courtesy of MoreBeer’s Safale US-05 Offering
I periodically brew small batches that require less that a full packet of dry yeast. See: Small Batch, All Grain Stove Top Brewing + Water Calculation Spreadsheet. For that matter, sometimes larger beers require a full packet plus.
To save money and reduce waste, I use my vacuum sealer to store partial packets of dried yeast.
Here’s the procedure I use…
- Determine the proper amount of yeast using a pitching rate calculator.
- Prepare the proper amount of re-hydration water. Generally, you’ll prepare 10 grams of water for every one gram of yeast needed, but consult manufacturer’s directions. Check out Tip 1 on our tips page for how I do this using a lab bottle in the microwave.
- Put the prepared rehydration water on an accurate gram scale – I use the AWS-100 from American Weigh [Hands on Review]. Make sure the scale has a “tare” feature or otherwise account for the weight of the container and water.
- Zero the scale out using the tare feature.
- Cut the yeast packet open and slowly pour the yeast into the rehydration water. Careful, there’s no going back if you pour too much. 🙂
- When I get the amount of yeast I’m looking for, I immediately seal the yeast packet (if it’s a mylar type material) using the heat strip sealer on my vacuum sealer.
- I write the amount of remaining yeast on the packet using a Sharpie and then seal that in vacuum bag for additional protection.
This is quick and easy, reduces waste and saves money.
Some gear and ingredients to consider…
- FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer V2244 – Hands on Review
- Amazon Best Sellers in Vacuum Sealers – this category can include vacuum sealers along with supplies and accessories
- Search 500 ml polypropylene bottles – on Amazon. I use these bottles for rehydrating yeast
- An infrared thermometer – Amazon Best Sellers in Infrared Thermometers
- American Weigh 100g x 0.01g Digital Scale – Hands on Review
- Safale US-05 via MoreBeer
- Safale S-04 (3 ct.11.5 g Packs) via Amazon
- Safale US-05 (3 ct.11.5 g Packs) via Amazon
- Dry Yeast at William’s Brewing – William’s carries a variety of manufacturers and strains including (as of this update) Safale, Lallemand, and Mangrove Jacks
This is a Top Post! See: All Top Posts
Recent Great Deals [view more]:
- Stainless Tri-Clamp – 1.5 in. Tee – $19.99 via MoreBeer Tri-Clamps S…
- 250 x Brewer’s Best Conditioning Carbonating Tablets – $7.48 + free …
- 3M 08008 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive [Repairing Loose Cornelius Keg Handle…
- Set of 2 Camco Unbreakable Pint Glasses – $6.78, $3.39 each + free prime s…
- Godiva Hops now available at MoreBeer – UK Variety, tangerine, gooseberry …
- Magnetic Drive High Temp Capable Liquid Pump – $45.90 via Beverage Element…
- MoreBeer Hop Clearance Sale!
Make sure the components you use are compatible and rated for your intended application. Contact manufacturer with questions about suitability or a specific application. Always read and follow manufacturer directions.