Thanks to HBF Reader AJ for this tip! There are 8 Ways to Connect with HBF
AJ has suggested a comparison between this thermometer (the Thermowand) and the Thermapen (See my review).
The Thermowand is NSF approved – that means it is certified to meet commercial food safety standards, boasts a 4 second response time and a +- .9 deg F accuracy. It is splash resistant, has a integrated magnetic refrigerator attachment and has a lifetime warranty
- Response Time: 4-5 seconds to within 1°F of final temperature in moving boiling water (212°F)
- Accuracy: ±0.9°F @ -4 ~ 302°F (±0.5°C @ -20 ~ 150°C)
- Range: -40 ~ 482°F (-40 ~ 250°C)
- Battery: 1x CR2032
- Battery Life: 4,000+ hours
- Auto-Off: 60 min
- F/°C Configurable: Yes
A few comparisons with the Thermapen…
- Range: -58.0 to 572.0°F Thermapen vs -40 ~ 482°F for the Thermowand – Thermapen has a wider range, but this isn’t a factor for homebrewing. If you’re measuring something that’s 572 while homebrewing… You’re doing it wrong!
- Response Time: From 75°F to 32°F: ≤ 3 seconds to within 1°F for the Thermapen vs Response Time: 4-5 seconds to within 1°F of final temperature in moving boiling water (212°F) for the Thermowand. The Thermapen wins by a couple seconds – Practically speaking… Not a huge difference.
- Accuracy: ±0.7°F (±0.4°C) from -58 to 392°F (-49.9 to 199.9°C), ±1.8°F (±1.0°C) from 392 to 572°F (200 to 299.9°C) for the Thermapen vs ±0.9°F @ -4 ~ 302°F (±0.5°C @ -20 ~ 150°C) for the Thermowand. In the range we’re interested in it’s a .2 deg F difference (slight advantage to Thermapen). I’ve done a good bit of work with temperatures as they relate to homebrewing (see: Kegerator Beer Line Temperatures & Reducing Foam with a Recirculating Fan and Thermometer Reviews Tag) and I don’t see where .2 deg F is going to make a big difference.
- Water Resistance: Splash Proof vs Splash Resistant – Without number on either of those terms, I’ll call this one a toss up.
All in all, the specs on this thermometer look very good, Especially compared with the price. Price notwithstanding the Thermapen wins. However the Themowand appears to be a very solid option.
After putting this post up, I got a bit of feedback from Facebook Friend – Connect with HBF on Facebook – Josh. Josh says… “I have one and it’s great.”
Ultra Fast & Accurate, High-Performing Digital Food/BBQ Thermometer – Lavatools Thermowand®
Also: SPLASH-PROOF SUPER-FAST® THERMAPEN®
Pinned: 11 Gal Kettle · ITC-1000 Temp Controller! · Thermapen · Discount BoilCoil
Recent Amazon Finds: