Luer Lock are an inexpensive and effective disconnect system. I think these are typically used in the healthcare industry, Luer Locks provide a solid, pressure capable connection with a quick twist.
You could use Luer Locks throughout your primary disconnect system throughout your kegerator CO2 system if you wanted to.
I used valved QDs for most of my keg lines, see below, and Luer Locks to operate a “utility” CO2 line. One of my CO2 lines has a female Luer Lock on it. I have a selection of attachments that consist of: The attachment, 5 inches or so of CO2 line and a male Luer Lock.
With this setup I can easily swap out more specialized attachments that don’t typically need to be hooked up all the time.
Tip: In my experience it can be difficult to get tubing onto Luer Locks. If you have this problem, try soaking your tubing in warm/hot water.
My attachments include (from top to bottom in the picture above):
- A picnic tap. I put a length of tubing on the end of this and use it to flush receiving vessels with CO2.
- A Cornelius gas quick disconnect: Use this line to pressurize and serve a keg as you would any other line.
- A Cornelius liquid quick disconnect: Use this line to flush a keg with CO2 from the bottom up through the liquid out dip tube.
- A standard 1/4″ female flare fitting. I use this to hook up my Blichmann Beer Gun among other things.
- A Ball Lock Cornelius post. When I transfer from my fermenter or from keg to keg, this attachment allows me to purge the entire length of tubing, disconnects and the receiving keg (from the bottom up) via the liquid out dip tube. I used several fittings to accomplish this, but an easier and cheaper option is now available. See below.
- A Kent Soda Cap disconnect. Kent Systems QDs at MoreBeer
Other options include:
- An air compressor blow gun to flush our carboys and more with CO2 (I’m using the aforementioned picnic tap for this)
- A length of CO2 line to easily extend your CO2 runs.
This is a picture of the CO2 line I use with these utility attachments.
Luer Lock Connectors: These have 1/4″ barbs.
- Value Plastics MTLL360-1 White Nylon Tube Fitting, Male Luer with Integral Lock Ring to 200 Series Barbed Coupler, 1/4″ (6.4 mm) Tube ID (Pack of 25)
- Value Plastics FTLL055-1 White Nylon Tube Fitting, Female Luer Thread Style to Barbed Coupler, 1/4″ (6.4 mm) Tube ID (Pack of 25)
Other parts that may be helpful:
- Kent Shut-Off QD Set – Soda Bottle Cap H482 – Use this to carbonate in a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle. Also use to pressurize a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle for easy transport. More Info
- Stainless Carbonation Cap with 5/16″ Barb Ball Lock Type, Fit Most Soft Drink PET Bottles – my ball lock utility line includes several fittings that are relatively costly. Finding compatible threads can also be a trick. This fitting accomplishes the same thing. Note that it has a 5/16″ barb. You should be able to use this with 1/4″ ID tubing. If it’s tight. Soak your tubing in warm/hot water.
- 1/4″ Female Flare x 1/4″ Barb Swivel Adapter
- Picnic/Cobra Faucet
- I use Oetiker Clamps for my liquid, CO2 and utility lines.
Luer Lock connectors are not what I would call “quick disconnects” meaning that they are not valved to allow easy disengagement while pressure is turned on. You need to turn off CO2 pressure to disengage these. Tip: If you’re using these for kegs, disconnect the ball lock gas QD before you disconnect your Luer Lock. This will prevent the keg from emptying itself of CO2.
Of course you could use all valved QDS or all Luer Locks in your kegerator setup. I use a hybrid approach. Valved QDs for most of my lines and Luer Locks for these utility attachments.
- Beer & Gas Tubing Quick Disconnect – 1/4″ Barb x Male Shut-off H550A via MoreBeer
- Beer & Gas Tubing Quick Disconnect – 1/4″ Barb x Female Shut-off H550B via MoreBeer
- Colder PLCD17004 Acetal Tube Fitting, Coupler, Shutoff, In-Line, 1/4″ Flow Coupler x 1/4″ Barb via Amazon
- Colder PLCD22004 Acetal Tube Fitting, Insert, Shutoff, In-Line, 1/4″ Insert x 1/4″Barb via Amazon
Make sure the fittings and disconnects you use on your system are properly rated for your application. If you have questions about the appropriateness of an item for an application, contact the manufacturer.
Recent Great Deals [more]:
- 9 Cleaning Brushes – $6.76
- Stainless Funnel w/Strainer – coming up on Lighting Deals
- Case of (6) 16 Ounce Flip Top Bottles – coming up on Lighting Deals
- American Sour Beers – FREE! with new or renewed AHA Membership
- 100+ Wine Kits Ship for Free from AIH