Hanna Instruments 96811 Digital Refractometer via MoreBeerMore about the 96811
The HI 96811 Digital Refractometer is easy to use. Start by calibrating it with deionized or distilled water, then use a small sample from your brew to get a reading within seconds. Readings are displayed in degrees Brix, whch can easily be converted to Specifig Gravity.
- Temperature: (in C or F) is displayed simultaneously with measurement on the large dual level display along with other helpful message codes.
- Wide Range: The HI 96811 is versatile enough to fit most applications.
- Easy Measurement: Place a few drops of the sample in the well and press the READ key.
- Calibrate with Water: Fill the sample well with distilled or deionized water and press the ZERO key.
- Automatic temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Battery Operated: The HI 96811 is operated by a single 9V battery for portability.
- Dual-level LCD: The dual-level LCD displays the measurement as well as temperature readings simultaneously.
- Waterproof: The HI 96811 offers IP65 waterproof protection.
- Quick, Precise Results: Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds.
- Small Sample Size: The HI 96811 is able to read samples as small as 2 metric drops.
For me, getting a refractometer was one of those upgrades that made a lot of difference. With a refractometer you need a sample size of two drops. I figured that this would pay for itself in beer savings alone. I also had just broken my hydrometer and came to the realization that hydrometers are made of breakable glass that can break! 🙂
Refractometers can be used to measure gravity throughout the brewing process. You can also estimate the alcohol content of your beer if you forget to take an OG with the use of a refractometer and a hydrometer. Check out Sean Terrill’s excellent refractometer calculator.
As of this posting, this is selling for $199.99 at MoreBeer. Check the product page for up to the minute price and availability.
More: Recent MoreBeer Finds