I use universal poppets exclusively when rebuilding kegs. So far, they have worked in every one of my kegs. I, generally, like their cost and also like the fact that I don’t have to figure out and pay for model specific, OEM parts.
Here’s a look at 5 universal keg poppets – via Amazon – the pictures in this review show the poppets I received when I ordered from this product page. Multiple sellers can fulfill your order. It’s possible you’ll receive a slightly different product. See: All Offers Page for this product
My 5 universal poppets arrived in bags inside of a bag. Bags!Here’s a look at a single poppetHere it is disassembled. Poppets generally have three pieces – a spring, a small o-ring and a stainless piece that holds the o-ring. This stainless piece has a groove to firmly hold the o-ring in place when assembled.I have been in the process of testing 008 Buna-N O-Rings as replacement universal poppet o-rings. Here you can see the two side by side. The top gasket came with these poppets. You can see OEM o-ring appears to be just a bit larger. In spite of the differences I have found that the 008 size has worked on all 4 of the universal poppet styles that I have including this one. Still testing, conclusions wait for… another post on another day.I usually flip the assembled top part into the keg body and then put the spring in.Spring installed. I’ll then flip everything right side up (trying to hold the poppet in with one finger) and put the assmbly on the keg.Here it is installed. This picture doesn’t tell the whole tale, but… This is the gas side of a 3 gallon ball lock keg, mostly filled with water (to save CO2). I sprayed this with Star San to test for leaks. No leaks.I used this gas poppet to relieve pressure. If I were keeping these poppets in this keg, I would trim the spring the fit was a bit tight. See tip below.Here’s the spring after being installed and tested. Hey.. it’s still a spring.I completed this review along with preliminary testing on dash 008 o-rings for use as universal poppet replacement o-rings. Here’s a picture that will probably end up in that post. Going through my universal poppets, I initially thought I had 3 distinct styles. Looking more closely, I believe I have 4 distinct styles. Two types are very, very close, although I think they vary in length just slightly.
Tip: Universal Poppets the vast majority of kegs without issue. I have had a couple kegs that ended up being a bit too tight with these. It’s an easy fix. Use a pair of wire cutters or Nipper Pliers to trim the universal poppet. I suggest taking off about half of a coil and testing. You want the QD to slide on easily and for it to reliably hold pressure when the QD is off. Taking off a half of a coil and testing helps you make sure you don’t end up making the poppet too loose.
5 pieces / lot,Universal Poppet Valve for Cornelius Keg – via Amazon – the pictures in this review show the poppets I received when I ordered from this product page. Multiple sellers can fulfill your order. It’s possible you’ll receive a slightly different product. See: All Offers Page for this productOur Top Draft Resources
- Serve Homebrew & Sanke Kegs on Any Kegerator
- Home Brew Keg Roundup – New & Used, 5 and 2.5 Gallon & More!
- Portable Draft Beer Serving Options!
- Damp Kegerator? Fix Kegerator Condensation
- Mark II Keg & Carboy Cleaner… As a Recirculating Draft Line Cleaning …
- Tips and Gear for Growler Filling
- Bulk Keg Orings and Keg Repair Part Numbers
- Kegging CO2 Use Estimations and Calculations
- What’s the Difference Between Ball Lock Kegs and Pin Lock Kegs?
- Step by Step: Finding and Fixing Keg CO2 Leaks
- Recirculating Draft Line Cleaning Build
- Kegerator Beer Line Temperatures & Reducing Foam with a Recirculating Fan
- Balancing Your Draft System
- 5 Recent Homebrew Keg Finds
Recent Amazon Finds [view more]:
- Control Devices Adjustable Pressure Relief Valve [0 to 100 PSI] – $11.65, …
- Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container – $12.45
- Stainless Steel Keg Dry Hop Filter – $10.99 + Free Shipping
- Inkbird ITC-310TB, Dual Stage w/12 Programmable Timers – $35.99 w/20% off …
- Dual Scale Specific Gravity Brix Refractometer with ATC – $18.99