PBW is my go to brewing cleanser.
Using the Spray Bottle Method for Star San means that I use so little Star San that it’s really not even worth price comparing. I have used the same bottle of Star San, literally, for years.
Not so with PBW. This is something that I go through relatively quickly. Under the premise of “buy things in bulk, that you use in bulk” I thought I’d do some price comparisons.
First observation… Never ever buy the 2 ounce size of PBW. It’s not even close to enough for one batch of beer. I’m not including it in the results here, but, I’ve found that it can cost up to…. $51.92 per lb.
Note that if shipping fees are calculated, they should be considered an estimate. I can’t figure these for your location. Check the retailer for actual shipping cost to you. If a retailer offers free shipping at a certain threshold, shipping costs are considered $0.
- $4.05 per lb. Midwest Supplies, 50 lbs – $179.99 + $22.64 Calculated Shipping
- $5.75 per lb. More Beer, 4 lbs – $22.99 – Free Shipping (with $59 order)
- $6.61 per lb. Northern Brewer, 8 lbs – $39.99 + $12.86 Calculated Shipping
- $6.85 per lb. Midwest Supplies, 8 lbs – $39.99 + $14.82 Calculated Shipping
- $7.49 per lb. More Beer, 1 lb – $7.49 - Free Shipping (with $59 order)
- $8.62 per lb. Adventures in Homebrewing, 4 lbs – $22.99 + $11.50 Calculated Shipping
- $8.71 per lb. Northern Brewer, 4 lbs – $21.99 + $12.86 Calculated Shipping
- $9.20 per lb. Midwest Supplies, 4 lbs – $21.99 + $14.82 Calculated Shipping
- $13.84 per lb. Adventures in Homebrewing – 1 lb – $6.99 + $6.85 Calculated Shipping
- $20.36 per lb. Northern Brewer, 1 lb – $7.50 + $12.86 Calculated Shipping
- $22.32 per lb. Midwest Supplies, 1 lb – $7.49 + $14.83 Calculated Shipping
- If you’ve got the budget or can go in on a group buy, one of the 50 lb offerings makes the most sense.
- If you’re not ready to spend $200+ on PBW, More Beer’s 4 lb offering may be your best bet, depending on how calculated shipping prices work out for your location.
- Retailers that charge calculated shipping have minimum shipping/processing thresholds. Consider placing a larger order to offset that minimum. Other items may ship for free or not much more. Along the same lines, take advantage of sellers free or flat rate shipping offers. Just get ingredients for your next batch or two.
- Never ever buy the 2 oz size of PBW. If homebrew dentists existed… this size would be a free giveaway after you went to the homebrewing dental hygienist for your regular whatever-those-people-would-do, instead it can sell for the equivalent of over $50 per lb.
- Buy the largest size of PBW your budget allows for. From the same retailer: The 1 lb size is 5.51 times more expensive than the 50 lb size.
- Don’t disregard sellers that charge calculated shipping prices, with regards to cost… It’s the total out the door amount that matters.
- Shop around. Prices change, sometimes quickly. With calculated shipping cost sellers, your cost will vary based on your location in relationship to the retailer.
Recent Great Deals: