I picked up the Snapware’s 4 Liter Airtight Storage Container primarily to use for DME storage. I think it would also work well to store specialty grain, other ingredients or for use as general storage around your brewery.
This container carries a lifetime warranty
Click for a larger photo. This container is made in the USA, Dishwasher Safe, Microwave Safe, Freezer Safe, Airtight, Leakproof, Stackable and BPA free. It has a capacity of 17 cups or 4 liters.
The label easily peels off to reveal care and use directions. No residue. This is a pet peeve of mine. Why do manufacturers make labels that don’t come off easily? It’s not like we don’t have the technology! We’ve put a man on the moon! Or have we??
Lid with Gasket
Gasket is removable for easy cleaning
This holds right at 5 lbs of this particular grain. The weight of the container itself is excluded from this reading because I used the tare feature on my Escali Primo Scale.
This is going to define a new rule of thumb for me when evaluating containers with a known volume for grain storage. 1.25 lbs/liter.
You can see that the lid easily closes with 5 lbs of grain in the container. I think this is a good size for storing specialty grains. Obviously, this isn’t going to be dandy for storing a sack of base grain. You’re probably not going to want to buy 10 of these containers. Check out our Storage Options Post for other ideas for base grain storage.
Here’s the container holding 3 lbs, 13 ounces of DME. That’s all the DME I had on hand. I estimate that this can hold a total of 4.57 lbs of DME. See the next picture for the math on that.
This container is about 6 1/2″ tall without the lid. This is all the DME I had on hand. If there are 5″ of DME in the container that figures out to about .7625 lbs of DME per inch. Let’s say there is another 1″ of usable space. 3.1825 (measured weight) + .7625 (estimate for additional inch of DME) = 4.575 lbs. That gives you a spare 1/2″ to easily close the lid.
This is a great container, in fact it’s a Top Find!
More from Amazon:
- Rubbermaid Commercial Food Service Scoop – $12.53, Record Low
- Great Deal: American Weight 3000 g x .1 g Digital Scale - $25.44 Shipped
- Guinness Pub Glasses, Set of 4 - $13.97, Record Low
- Reader Tip: Black 64 oz, Double Wall Stainless Growler - $29.26 Shipped
- BeerSmith for Android - $7.99, Save 20%
- 5 Erlenmeyer Flasks - $17.99 ($3.60/flask)
- Commercial Chalkboard Contact Paper - $7.75
- Update: Double Wall Stainless 64 oz Growler - $26.09 Shipped w/Trick + Caveat
- 5 Shelf Shelving Unit with 4,000 lb capacity - $49 Shipped, Save 46%
- We Want Beer Poster Prohibition Era Poster
- Professional Wood Corkscrew and Bottle Opener - $8.00, New Record Low